Can you give me some advice about starting my own website?

I would like to start my own website. It's nothing fancy. I want to buy www.insertmynamehere.com and have it be a resume type site so I can give it to potential employers after I graduate. I want it to display my writing samples, other pdf files, maybe have a blog, have my own email address from it. I don't need to have a store or anything. Just something pretty simple, nothing horribly elaborate.

I have some knowledge of html, and think that I can probably figure out the coding. I know it pretty much just takes a lot of tedious and sometimes frustrating work to build one. I don't really need to have any web hosts that have templates for dummies, but I wouldn't mind if they had some templates I could fall back upon. It would be nice if it was less expensive (I'm on a college student's budget), but if it is absolutely worth it to pay more for better service, I'll consider it.

So, my understanding is that you have to register the domain, find the web host you want, and then build the website? Am I missing anything? Also, I want suggestions on web hosts and domain registration sites. I was thinking about godaddy.com, any thoughts?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

As you may know a domain name is just a name, not a real website. If you are going to create your website: 1- Buy a domain name. A domain name is a name you want to call your website (ex: www.yahoo.com). To get a domain name, you have to pay an annual fee to a registrar for the right to use that name. 2- Buy a web hosting service to provide your online space and enable you to get your website online at your purchased domain name.

If you want to start your website I recommend purchase your domain and hosting together. In this way it is possible to get your domain for free. Some hosting services offer this gift today.

As an experienced webmaster I recommend BlueHost service which I’m sure it would work for you and fulfill all your requirements. They have a really great offer for hosting & I have used them for over 3 yrs now, and have never had a single problem with them.

They are a Multi-awarded Web Hosting which offer a Full-featured service only $6.95. You can see their Plan Details accompanied with reliable reviews regarding their service at:

http://www.threehosts.com/reviews/1st

Here I have copied and pasted its features from their website to view:

- Free Domain Forever

- Unlimited Space

- Unlimited Transfer

- Blog (wordpress)

- Forum (phpbb,bulletin)

- Host UNLIMITED Domains (Support All Domain Names)

- 2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts

- SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats

- CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL

- Front Page Extensions

- Free Site Builder

- 24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Support

- Free Search Engine Submission

They also offer "Free Site Builder" that helps you build your web pages without difficulty if you are not skilled in using any website creating program. (WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get) You can use this service optionally.

******IMPORTANT********

* This service was awarded “The Best Web Host OF The Year”.

* If you sign up for this service you will have $75 credits to advertise your website with the google & yahoo search engines for free!

* You Can Register A Free Domain or Use Your Existing Domains. They Support All Domain Names.

****************************

Another useful link:

http://www.threehosts.com/build

There you can find a step-by-step guide to start your website.

And the easiest way to create a website is reachable here (web host offering 4500 decent templates):

http://www.threehosts.com/tell-me-more/hg.html

If your website is not a business site (is personal), you can also refer to this cheap, reliable service:

http://www.goldpuma.com/

Good Luck!

I would may be buy program like Dreamweaver CS4/CS3 or download something off the internet for free. Because it makes your work much more easier understand as most programs have both the HTML side and a normal viewing side. I would create the main bits of the website first and then find a host as you don't want to waste money paying for something which isn't on the internet yet or if you gave up you wouldn't have lost any money.I usually use a free one as they can give you a near enough name (http://insertmynamehere.110mb.com)/ to what you want. I used 110mb and I still have nearly 90% left of web space left.

Also if you are wondering where people visit your website from you can use google analytics (free online website made by google) as you can find how many people visit your website and which page is most popular. You can even tell which city/town they viewed it from.

Domain registration is pretty straight forward I tend to use godaddy (I have about 30 domains with them).

As far as your construction and hosting requirements go if you get a host with cpanel AND fantastico you can use fantastico to automatically install wordpress (a blogging/content management system) so it takes Absolutely no technical skills.

Wordpress has themes (styles) available for free download or you can create or modify one so you can fully customise your site.

I would also have your work available for display on the site in standard wordpress pages so if people don't have a pdf reader installed they can still view your work.

Good luck.

The thing that I find that helps me most is to make a rough drawing of what you would like the site to look like. Then start working on the page and as you progress keep saving the page like index 1, index 2, etc. that way if you make a change and you do not like it you can just go back to a point where you did like it. Also do a yahoo or google search for java script, cgi scripts or whatever you wish to use on your site there is a lot out there. If you see something on a web site that you like sometimes you can right click on a blank spot on the page and go to "view source" sometimes you can read the HTML or even cut and paste it to a word processor for editing. As far as the money part the only think there is to do a search and see what you can find. In most cases there is stuff available and you can just cut and paste it to your page. Hope this helps, Roy

Hi Kim S,

Actually, to make a website is easy, but you need a courage to try a new thing. I am like you before and don't know any programming knowledge. All I learn myself by book and do some research in internet. Now I can use my experience to build website for my clients. But, it just my part time job.

Now we back to your question. Ok some web hosting will provide a site builder tool. If you create a website using this tool, you don't need to upload your site to server. This tool is easy to use and No programming or HTML experience needed.

You can try this for free on HostGator demo account. You can check out this link:

http://www.best-webhosting-guide.com/hostgator/sit...

But, if you want more adventure you can create your website using website creation software like:

* Adobe Dreamweaver

* Microsoft FrontPage

* Kompozer (Free Software)

You need to upload your website to your web hosting after completion. All those software had FTP build-in, or you can use other FTP programs such as FileZilla (Free Software) for upload your website to your hosting.

If you're new, you can learn more about:

* How to select the best web hosting

* How to create Website/Blog/Flash Site (Step by step instruction)

* How to use Website creation software (Dreamweaver/FrontPage/Kompozer)

* Programming tutorial HTML/CSS/PHP/JavaScript

* How to upload your website to Web Hosting (Using FTP)

* How to accept Payment in your Website

* Video Tutorials: Step by step guides

* Download FREE Website Creation Software

* Download FREE Website Templates

* Download FREE e-books (Web Design & Internet Marketing)

Check out this link for this Free information:

http://best-webhosting-guide.com/tutorial

It is better to use Web Hosting Pad (WHP) because it cheaper $1.99/mo compare to GoDaddy $4.24/mo and WHP also offered more features.

WHP will give you a Free Domain Name (insertmynamehere.com) when you register with them. As long as you continue with them, you can get this domain free (don't need to renew it every year).

You can add wordpress blog in your hosting with just simple installation. You can refer to video tutorial that I provided in the link above. You can create Unlimited email using your domain name (youremail@insertmynamehere.com).

Here are other features they had offered:

* FREE Domain Name Forever

* UNLIMITED Hosting Space

* UNLIMITED Bandwidth Transfer

* Host UNLIMITED Domains/Webistes in 1 Account

* UNLIMITED Parked Domains & Subdomain

* UNLIMITED Database

* UNLIMITED POP/Imap Email Accounts

* Unlimited Email Forwarders & Autoresponder

* UNLIMITED FTP Account

* WordPress Blog - Available

* Forum/Bulletin Board - Available

* E-Commerce/Shopping Cart - Available

* Content Management System - CMS (Mambo/Joomla)

* SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats

* CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL

* Front Page Extensions

* Anti Virus and SPAM Protection

* 24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Technical Support

* Supports Streaming Video/Audio

* Supports Macromedia Shockwave/Flash

* Video Tutorial - Available

* FREE Point & Click Site Building Tools (Create a professional-looking Web site with just a few clicks, using a variety of dynamic themes and templates. No programming or HTML experience needed!)

* FREE $100 credits to promote with Google, Yahoo & MIVA.

If you want $36.00 Off Discount and other Web Hosting Pad coupon codes, you can check it in this page:

http://www.best-webhosting-guide.com/webhostingpad...

I hope all this information and references will help you. Have a nice day!