promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

1962 ironhead 900 cc generator problem?

My generator is putting out enough voltage to run my bike but it is not enough to charge the battery or run the lights. any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm lost. never had this problem before. It is usually all or nothing.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Checking generator:

It is possible to troubleshoot a faulty generator without removing the generator from the engine, or if necessary to remove it, without completely diassembling the generator. When a generator stops charging or not charging at a satisfactory rate as evidenced by a dead battery or signal light on switch panel remaining lighted, it is recommended that unless the trouble is known definitely, the following checking sequence should be used:

On installations employing a fuse in the generator field circuit, remove fuse at regulator and examine it to see if it has blown. When replacing fuse be sure insulating sleeve is in good condition and covers fuse properly.

Make certain the generator signal light circuit is not grounded. Remove the wire or wires from the generator "A" terminal and position so contact is not made with motorcycle. Turn ignition on. If generator light on instrument panel goes on, light circuit is grounded and may be reason for the generator not charging. If this circuit is grounded this condition must be corrected. If the generator signal light circuit tested OK or if a grounded condition has been corrected, proceed to testing generator output.

Testing generator output:

Remove wire from "F" terminal of generator. Connect a short jumper wire from generator "F" terminal to ground on motorcycle. Remove wire or wires from generator "A" terminal and connect the positive lead of a 0-30 ampere ammeter. Start engine and run at speed of 2000 RPM then momentarily connect negative lead of ammeter to motorcycle battery positive terminal (battery should be known to be good). If the ammeter reads 15 amps or more for a 6 volt generator or 10 amps or more for a 12 volt generator, then the generator is not at fault. Therefore, the difficulty is in the regulator or wiring circuit. If the generator shows no charge or charge below the minimum rate, it must be removed for further checking.

Important - Avoid running with generator field grounded for extended periods. Disconnect ammeter lead from battery before stopping engine to avoid discharging battery through generator.

Caution - it is advisable to flash field coils whenever wires have been removed from generator or regulator; or after generator or battery has been removed and is reinstalled. This is done to make sure generator has correct polarity. If polarity of generator is reversed, relay points will vibrate and burn. Flash field coils by momentarily touching a jumper wire between the "BAT" and "GEN" terminals on the regulator, after all wires have been properly connected and before starting engine. The momentary surge of current from battery to generator will correctly polarize generator.

If you need details on how to test a generator after it has been removed from the bike, email me and I'll get it to you.

Source(s): 1962 HD Service Manual pg. 5E-1
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

1. Are you sure you're checking the output properly?

2. At what RPM are you checking it?

3. How old and what condition is the battery in?

4. Is the regulator working? Old mechanical or new style solid-state?

5. Was the field coil on the generator ever FLASHED?

6. What is your idle speed set at?

7. Do you have a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL to follow the proper diagnostic procedures?

Source(s): 20yr HD Tech. MMI Grad 1991 and 2009. Factory trained by HD, Big Dog, American Ironhorse, Titan and Indian
  • Andy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You need to check it and see just how much voltage it's putting out.Those had a Delco Remy regulator on them.It could be going bad too.More than likely it's the generator though.Vibration used to kill my Panhead generator about every 4 years.It might be re-build time for it.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you know what the problem is then why are you asking the question-simply replace it.

Source(s): motorcycle mechanic for 35 years
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.