Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

spanish grammar.. les? le? los?

what's the difference between "los", "la", "las" ..etc. with le and les?

i understand it's a direct/indirect object thing but i don't understand the usage and difference when people say things like:

digale eso and

quiero conocerlos

when both examples are referring to people.

Update:

yep i get the masculine/feminine differences, but are les and los and le and la for example interchangable even when you're referring to people?

they're for direct and indirect objects, but

digales and conocerlos

use les and los, but both refer to indirect objects the people, no?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

LO reffers to one person or object (masculin)

LA reffers to one person or object (feminine)

LE reffers to only one person (male or female)

LOS/LAS/LES reffer to many

DigaLE eso (this LE means "to him" or "to her"), = Say to him/to her

Quiero conocerLOS (this LOS means "them") = I want to meet them

LO, LA, LOS, LAS are direct object pronouns

LE, LES are indirect object pronouns

EDIT

No, they are not interchangeables. As you can see LO/LOS and LA/LAS are for Direct Objects, masculin and feminine respectively. On the other hand LE/LES are for Indirect Object both masculin and feminine.

If you make the grammar analysis of your examples, you'll see that one have Direct Object and the other one Indirect Object (even, when those "objects" are people).

DígaLES = Say to them / Tell them

Think about this. You are saying or telling "something" to "somebody". That something (not mentioned in the sentence) is the Direct Object. Thus, the "somebody" is the Indirect Object. You can not say or tell "somebody", you say words (about people, or to people). It is the same in Spanish, so LES is Indirect Object. You can not say "dígaLOS" or "dígaLAS" refering to people, but to things made of words.

ConocerLOS = meet them / know them

This sentence does have a Direct Object, that's why we use LOS (not LES). The Direct Object is the people you are meeting or knowing (like in the first sentence, the Direct Object was the things you were going to say). There are no Indirect Object.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Yeah. Lo ataque ( I attacked him) Lo ayudo - is more like you saying that you will help an indivudual Le ayudo - is more like you are talking directly with that person who you are offering to help Lo is mostly for masculine nouns, but there are some cases that could work for either. Every country/region is different but where I'm from you are doing just fine.

• 1 decade ago

I can not answer you exactly.Spanish grammar is much more complex than English.In English we have only one definite article---the.In Spanish we have four -el-los,la,las. Also we use -lo- at times before masculine adjectives.Le and les can be pronouns meaning you.Here again while English only uses the pronoun -you in daily speech in Spanish we use several words to mean -you. Some are tú,tu, vosotros,usted,ustedes,os,le,les, all of these mean -you and are used in every day speech except-os.Also -le and les maybe translated as he,him,she,her,it.

Source(s): cubanito.
  • 1 decade ago

1) This is spanish

los : is the masculine plural

las : is the feminine plural

la : is the feminine singular

2) This is french

le : is the masculine singular

les : is the plural of 'le'

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

one is masculine los les and la las is feminine i believe

Source(s): three years in spanish
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

digale eso is like telling one person to tell another person something but quiero conocerlos is saying you want to meet them as in you want to meet a group of people who can be all male or male and female. if you say quiero conocerlas you are saying you want to meet a group of girls and if you say quiero conocerla it means you want to meet one girl. if you say quiero conocerlo you are saying you want to meet one guy

Source(s): i speak spanish
  • 1 decade ago

feminine singular - la

masculine singular - el

feminine plural - las

masculine plural - los

les is French I think. Hope it helps. :)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.