Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between eczema and dermatitis?

Also there's seborrhoeaic dermatitis and seborrhaeic eczema....are they the same thing?

Update:

What do you mean ' a form of'....what are other forms? How can you tell which is which?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First, dermatitis simply means inflammation of the skin, with ailments like the different types of eczema and psoriasis being variations of different types of dermatitis or skin inflammation. I'll cut and paste a little information from the health-cares.net website to give you a brief overview of some of the differences between the main types of eczema and skin ailments you mention above then will add a little information of my own at the end:

"Atopic eczema (atopic dermatitis) - This type of eczema comes and goes repeatedly, and usually occurs in people who have a genetic

(inherited) tendency to have allergies. In about 70 percent of cases, either the patient or a family member has allergic asthma, hay fever or food allergies. Atopic eczema appears early in life, usually in babies between 2 months and 18 months old. In babies, atopic eczema primarily affects the face, neck, ears and torso. It also appears on the tops of feet or the outside surface of elbows. Atopic eczema also is seen in older children, teen-agers and adults, where it usually involves the skin inside the creases of the inward bend of the elbow, knee, ankle, or wrist joints, the hands, or the upper eyelids.

Contact dermatitis - When irritants touch the skin, they can produce two types of contact dermatitis. Irritant contact dermatitis is direct irritation of the skin. The problem is called allergic contact dermatitis when an allergic reaction occurs in the skin. Irritant contact dermatitis can be caused by prolonged contact with mild irritants such as bubble bath, soap, sweat, saliva, urine and even water. Allergic contact dermatitis only occurs in people who have an allergy to a specific substance. Each year, about 70 percent of people in the United States are affected by some type of skin allergy. The most common allergens are poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. Other common substances that trigger skin allergies include construction materials used to build homes and offices, cleaning products, deodorants, cosmetics and medications. Dermatitis of the earlobes can be caused by an allergy to earrings that contain nickel. Chemicals in fragrances, skin cream and lotions, shampoos and shoes or clothing also can cause allergic reactions.

Hand eczema - This form of chronic eczema is limited to the hands. It can be related to atopic eczema or it can occur because of repeated hand washing or exposure to strong detergents. Occasionally, hand eczema is caused by an allergy, such as a latex allergy.

Seborrheic dermatitis (seborrhea) - Some doctors consider seborrhea to be a type of eczema, although it creates a greasier rash than is usual for eczema conditions. This scaly dermatitis commonly appears on the scalp as "cradle cap" in infants or dandruff in adults. It commonly affects the face or neck around the nose and at the scalp line. It probably is triggered by the skin fungus Pityrosporum ovale."

The different types of eczema generally have a different look to them (Wikipedia lists some good descriptions) but for most types, resolution requires a two pronged approach: inner/nutrition and outer/natural moisturizing skin care products.

If you are looking for input on dealing with eczema, I really encourage you to try some dietary changes. A lot of my clients (I'm a holistic nutritionist) find that going totally off dairy and/or grains helps their eczema a lot. Or, if there is a yeast overgrowth component, then moving to an anti-Candida dietary plan can be very helpful. Lastly there are often nutritional deficiencies such as omega 3 and omega 6 deficiencies. Those would all be worth taking a look at.

Finally, if you have eczema, some of the products you are using may be making things worse. If they have synthetic chemicals (i.e. parabens), the ingredients can provoke a response in the skin or make the skin drier. You may want to check EWG's Skin Deep Data Base and check your products out on their rating system to see if maybe switching to a natural or certified organic product for sensitive skin might help. Good luck!

Source(s): If you want a little more information on the types of eczema and suggestions on nutrition/skin care products to help, feel free to check out my natural skin care/nutrition site: http://www.begin-within-natural-skincare.com/eczem...
  • 4 years ago

Difference Between Eczema And Dermatitis

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Cure Eczema Easily Naturally Forever

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Eczema Remedy http://teres.info/CureEczemaForEver
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's the difference between eczema and dermatitis?

Also there's seborrhoeaic dermatitis and seborrhaeic eczema....are they the same thing?

Source(s): 39 difference eczema dermatitis: https://tr.im/CrNR9
  • 5 years ago

Cure Eczema Easily Naturally Forever - http://eczema.neatprim.com/

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

My little boy had eczema on his cheeks. I was not sure what method to use but I didn't want to make my boy go through any surgery treatments at this young age. Some suggested a plastic surgeon since it was in a very visible location but our family doctor recommend this natural guide.

Best Eczema Treatment?

• 1 decade ago

Eczema (from Greek ??????) is a form of dermatitis, or inflammation of the upper layers of the skin

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Home remedies for eczema may be as simple as changing your laundry detergent or fabric softener or as difficult as moving to a new climate or changing jobs. Removing whatever is causing the allergic reaction is the easiest and most effective treatment.

Prevent dry skin by taking warm (not hot) showers rather than baths. Use a mild soap or body cleanser. Dry yourself very carefully (pat yourself dry, instead of rubbing vigorously) and apply moisturizing skin lotions all over your body. Avoid lotions with fragrances or other irritating substances. (Avoid wool/mohair and other irritating fibers)

See more : https://biturl.im/eczemafreeforever

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

If you're tired of all the scratching, oozing, ugly skin rashes caused by eczema and you're ready to show off the beautiful skin you know you have, you need discover this book.

A digital book that shows you how to cure eczema in a few days.

It provides you answers to practical, homemade and natural solutions, that anyone living in any part of the world can easily perform!

Hers a List of what you will Discover:

+ Eliminate eczema without the need of any medication.

+ Treat your child's eczema

+ Stop the itching

+ Eliminate dry skin for good.

+ Totally free from the pain and sleep at night.

+ Create younger, toned and firm skin.

+ Unleash your body’s own natural ability to heal itself from all skin problems.

Discover right Now - http://eczemafree.info/

A 100% all natural remedy to Relieve Eczema Symptoms and treat the underlying problem.

Source(s): You Don't Have to Live with Eczema Any Longer - http://eczemafree.info/
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.