Parents share Joint Legal and Joint physical custody, would there still be child support issues?

If my ex and I agree to share Joint Legal Custody and Joint Physical Custody, would I (the father) still be required to provide child support? This is in California. I presently provide her medical insurance and tuition for private school and am ok with that.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, if you are earning more. This happens even if you had sole custody. But, there's options.

http://tinyurl.com/ChildSupportModifications

http://tinyurl.com/ChildSupportDepartingGuideline

http://dads-house.org/

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on the financial / professional situation of each parent and custodial time, but even if it's 50/50 time and similar incomes, you may be required to pay support. Even if one parent is rich and the other parent is very rich, the very rich parent will likely pay child support to the rich parent.

You should contact an attorney, your ex will. You need to find out if you will be paying for private school on top of child support, unless you don't mind. My son's private schools have gone up 5 - 10% a year, higher a few years as private schools do. If your child is in a reasonably priced K - 8, what about high school, tuition can easily double. What about uncovered medical expenses (high deductible policies), are they going to be split 50/50? Has she already had braces? Maybe you have orthodontic insurance now, but we've had it change year to year and we always have great insurance, depends on your employer. (Seems like every kid has braces now, especially in private school. $6500+ in L.A.)

No matter how friendly things are right now, they are likely to become unfriendly. = ( Sometimes when parents find out that the amount of custodial time can determine child support, that starts the war.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends, because if you make a lot more money than the other parent does, the courts might decide that the other parent has a greater need for a certain percentage of regula child support, too- even if you both share the role as custodual parent..

Say one parent makes 20,000 a year and the other makes 80,000 a year.. Then 80% of the childs needs would have to be met by the one who makes 80 K. Only 20% of the finances would be required by the other parent..

Thats how the guidelines usually work, anyways.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, you will have to provide child support for your child. Even though you share joint custody the mother is still the custodial parent and therefore you will have to provide support. The fact that your paying medical insurance and tuition will be accounted for when determining your child support amount.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, support will still be figured based on each parent's income.

If you share physical custody equally, and have an equal income, it will be a wash. But generally one parent earns more money and will still be required to pay support.

• 1 decade ago

i find child support so wrong in so many ways!! how is it fair that one parent gets #1 custody and then on top of that gets money as well!! i find it a discrase.. in almost all cases the father gets shafted. i think support should only be granted in cases where the other parent is not involved.

Source(s): i KNOW both sides!!!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As long as the child spends equal amount of time at both places your fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.