promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

i have a 1996 jeep cherokee country and while i was driving it cut off do i need a new TPS?

can the throttle position sensor be the reason that my car wont start?i have checked fuel pump, ignition and the starter.the engine also turns over. i tried spraying starter fluid in the in the throttle area i dont know the correct name but the car tried to start but didnt. please help

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, it's probably not the TPS. And if it will crank it's not the neutral start switch on the tranny. Double check to see if you have spark, if not, it's the crankshaft position sensor. Also check your engine ground.

I'm not sure if starter fluid would autoignite in a gas engine but I wouldn't recommend it, it's way too dangerous, if you must try something try dumping a little gasiline down the throttle body.

It sounds like you might have spark, so check your fuel filter, and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

The ASD relay could be bad and shut down your injectors on you, so switch it out with one of the others in the under hood fuse box.

And it could be bad gas too, with a lot of water in it, probably would start after a while though.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Is the check engine light on? The check engine light only comes on when there is a electrical problem in the system (sensors) if no light then no electrical problem or bad computer but computer is new. This is what you can do look at all the vacum hoses for any cracks make sure both ends are place somewhere no hoses just hanging check all the electrical connectors make sure they are tightly together. If the jeep is running fine at higher speeds then I don't think the fuel pump will be the problem.I would have the fuel pressure tested. Sounds like the mechanic is just replacing parts he should know that if the check engine light is not on then the problem most likely will be mechanical or vacum line/leak. Sensors that are left -- idle speed sensor oil pressure switch

• 1 decade ago

There is a small sensor switch down by the tranny, it will be about $1200 at the shop to replace. had the same problem with mine.

• 1 decade ago

if it is fuel injected you shouldnt be spraying starter fluid in anything. thats for carburators. take it to the shop. or go to this site and start a thread.

www.jeepforum.com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is probably not the TPS.

Try this trouble shooting guide:http://www.mikestrawbridge.com/XJstarter2.shtml

Mike

http://thejeepguru.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.