Twink asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

I can't seem to download anything?

I just got a brand new desktop, an Acer Aspire X1700 with 4GB, 64-bit operating system and an Intel(R) Dual CPU E2220 @2.4GHz 2.4GHz processor. But the problem is, is that I cant' seem to download ANYTHING from the internet, I can still get windows updates and updates on programs that are already on here such as WoW, because I used a CD to download it, but otherwise I can't download any text files, programs or songs or anything. It downloads and the bar goes to full, then says if I want to run or save. When I click either it just dissapears and nothing happens, when I save it, it doesn't save where I ask it to save. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Try a different browser other than you are using right now.

I HIGHLY recommend the new Opera 10 Version (its beta but WOW, its so fast and awesome)

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Other than that, Check all of your security settings Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware.

You can reset IE to see if that is the problem. In the internet options menu click the advanced tab and then reset.

Try saving everything to the desktop and for awhile and see if it changes any.

Good Luck.

** Be sure to let us know your conclusion, in case any of us have this problem in the future ;)

Depends what Internet Browser you use if you use IE8 then just change the settings in your options, if you use anything else then I can only say that that is the main reason why I avoid them like the pest as they choose for you and put it into obscurly named folders which you'll find eventually after searching.Also if you make changes make sure you APPLY then OK or no changes will take place.

Source(s): 25 Years of Computing and Twice the Know How Contact me if you need to

if you are having problems with internet explorer try and get firefox web browser or mozilla off the internet i save all my downloads to my desk top and then transfer them to where i want i never lose them this way also you can go to search from start tab on the bottom and put the name of what you downloaded into it and most likely if it is on you computer it will tell you where it went