What do you think of the so-called "Prosperity Gospel?"?

The Prosperity Gospel is the idea that faith in God can make you rich in the monetary sense.

This seems like wrongheaded and pernicious nonsense; if you read through the Bible, most of God's prophets and disciples were dirt poor.

How and why did this "prosperity gospel" gain popularity? Any sort of moral or religious philosophy that links human worth to monetary income sounds like a scam.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Ironical, since the very Son of God did not even have a home to call his own =P

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Chris
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No they were not poor. All the big players in the OT were wealthy and in the NT, Jesus received gifts of gold as a baby, enough to support 12 men and their families as they wandered around spreading the news later in life. Job, Solomon, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David all rich. Even Jesus was put in a very expensive tomb when he died.

• 1 decade ago

Yes it's complete nonsense. There's this one guy, Casey Treat, prosperity gospel extraordinaire and he's full of all kinds of blasphemy.

http://www.psalm9416.com/casey__wendy_treat_expose...

Source(s): Catholic
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it goes directly against what Christ taught. Christ was ascetic and when he said to sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, he was telling his followers to be ascetic as well.

Why is it popular? Because people want to believe that God / Jesus wants them to be materially wealthy. They're wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think with the invention of television the whole prosperi

• 1 decade ago

"Jesus wants you to be rich, so don't call me a hypocrite when I ask for $24.99 to send you a pamphlet on how to wish really hard for lots of money."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It makes the preachers who promote it prosperous.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think it's any different from any other gospel. It's all nonsense.

• 1 decade ago

Jesus came to bring us life and life more abundantly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.