Atheists: When was the first time you started realizing religion is a hoax?

Mine was in high school. I was in a Jewish youth group and wanted to know how many people actually knew the meaning of the prayers (spoken in Hebrew)....nobody knew. It was my first clue into what has turned into breaking free from the bonds of religion and into reality.

Please, no arguments or psycho babble about how I'm going to hell and all that. I just want to hear people's stories.

Best Answer

By the age of 6 I was vocally opposing the validity of biblical stories.. My opposition often got me thrown out of sunday school classes and sent to sit with my parents because I was "uncontrollable and wouldn't take the teachers word for anything." I wanted evidence to back up claims even as a child....

I was about twelve years old and the teacher in bible class told us all that Darwin recanted his theory on his death bed. I was convinced until I looked it up and found out that it wasn't true. Back then there wasn't an internet, there were only libraries. Even 50 years ago I could tell when I was being bull sh*tted.

edit: I couldn't help but look into your profile and I found out that you have a PHD in nueroscience. Are you familiar with the work of Jeff Hawkins? How about the Blue Brain project in Switzerland? I got interested in it not long ago and some of these people think we will have sentient computers within ten years. If they succeed, then I imagine there will be something similar to the arms race during the cold-war. In other words every country will want it's own sentient computers.

The guys in Switzerland have managed to create a neo-cortical column and they say that the next step is to make a neuro net equal to the human brain. I'd like to add you to my contacts if you don't mind.

• Derek

Somewhere in 10th grade. I gradually went from a believer to an atheist. I remember learning about Deism in 10th grade European History class and think that I was a deist. Sometime after that I became an atheist, but I don't know when exactly. I think I was also in a state of denial for a while where deep down I knew I was an atheist, but I had a poor misconception as to what a stereotypical atheist was and didn't like that. Then I came across Richard Dawkins and realized that atheist were no different from theist, except for belief in God. Once I began to educate myself on religion I knew for sure it was a hoax. It happened when I was either 15 or right after my 16th birthday. My faith as a kid wasn't very strong though.

When I was about 8.

It was a year ago, actually (or perhaps two). I've always had problems in school (mostly social) and any attempt to resolve it with prayer (I was previously a christian) proved futile, and actually, counter-productive. I realized that the only solution was self improvement, and not griping at the sky. So here I am, a 14 year old atheist.

Source(s): Atheist

7 years old

I wouldn't use the word hoax, but my doubts also started crystallizing in High School

Probably when I was around 12 or 13 and wanted to sleep in instead of going to church.

• CC

In religion class in my elementary parochial school. Third grade to be exact.

Source(s): An atheist perspective.

I never really believed in it. My parents were religious, but kind enough to simply explain things and let me make my own decisions.