Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

how do i become a pittsburgh pirates fan?

im from saint louis i love baseball and i like the pirates best team ever but im kinda new to baseball so how do i become a pirates fan i know all the players and coach's my favorite player is ryan deoumit and how can i listen to pirates game on the radio how do i become a fan help what should i get for team Support and i want to get my room all pittsburgh pirates how do i do that and what teams should i hate sorry for my spelling i have had trouble with it all my life

Best Answer

There's no real process of becoming a "fan" for a particular sports team. Based on your details, I feel you are a Pirates fan. All you really have to do is learn about the team. Know the players, coaches, and importantly, the history of the team. Know some simple things like how many World Series the Pirates have won, who they beat, and in what years. Just continue to expand your knowledge about the Pirates. Go to your local library and check out some books about the Pirates (if they have any) or look on amazon.com and buy a couple of cheap books on Pirates history or famous players like Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, and Honus Wagner.

The Pirates broadcast their games on 104.7 FM in Pittsburgh, but since you live out of the area, I am pretty sure you can go to the Pirates website and go to the audio section and you should be able to listen to the game.

As far as the Pirates rivals go, they don't really have a number one rival like many other teams in the MLB do. Historically, in my opinion, the Pirates top rival has always been the Cincinnati Reds. The Pirates and Reds were two of the first handful of MLB charter franchises and they have played each other every year since 1901 and the rivalry was pretty intense during the 1970s and 1980s. It's not a huge rivalry like the Yankees-Red Sox or Dodgers-Giants, but it's important to Pirates fans. Not so much in this era, but the Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies had some bad blood for the Pirates. The Braves beat the Pirates in 7 games in the 1992 NLCS, knocking the Pirates out from going to the World Series that year. The Phillies and Pirates rivalry used to be pretty big back in the 1980s and early 1990s, but it's not really big anymore because the Pirates moved from the NL East Division to the NL Central Division (where they are now). Also, Cleveland-Pittsburgh is a huge NFL rivalry, but since the Cleveland Indians are in the AL and they only play the Pirates every 2 or 3 years, there isn't a ton of hatred. But since it's Cleveland, they would be a team to dislike.

Well I hope this covers most of what you are looking for. If you need more information, feel free to message me on here, I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you have.

Source(s): Pirates fan.

Try mlb.com for a bunch of pirates stuff, probably start dressing in pirates jerseys hats etc.. as for rivals you don't really have any just maybe the phillies or the teams in your division.. Also look into seeing a few of their games so you get a feel about the team and the fans.. If you end up going just wear a pirates jersey and hat, make sure to feed off the vibe of the crowd don't be a jackass either or you might get into a fight

You already are. There is no test you have to take! The baseball team a fella likes has nothing to do with geography. You like what you like. Just follow those Pirates in the standings and take opportunities to learn about them. Books, TV shows, magazines, blogs, and on and on are all good sources for information. Wherever you live: apologize to no man for your preferences.

First you hit yourself over the head with a baseball bat. Then you keep telling yourself that losing is fun! Presto, you're a Pittsburgh Pirate fan!

• Tracy

I'm usually one of the first people to defend police officers but the use of nightsticks seems a little excessive. Unless the guy was drunk and on PCP or something, the taser should be more than enough to effect the arrest. I understand why the police feared for their safety though. You've got a whole stadium full of fans and you can bet that Ashley wasn't the only one drunk, all you need is one drunk to start something and then you've got a full-blown rumble on your hands. I think they were in the right to use the taser but hitting him with nightsticks seems like a little much. It's the guys own fault though. You mouth off to PNC employees and police and try to resist arrest, they're going to drop you. Sounds like the guy had it coming to him.

• First, you have to surrender all your hopes and dreams to the Pirates' front office. They'll issue you a complimentary brick to bang against your head, and presto! you're a Pirates fan.

you just become one. I suggest that you get onto pirate fan sites. the team that you should hate are the Cubs and Cards

Source(s): big Royals fan. My brothers and dad are Cub fans which makes them my second team.

I think you should really reconsider being a Pirates fan

y do u want to be a pirates fan?

• luigi

Well, you just buy a hat and maybe a Ryan Doumit shirt