Any recommendations on Bible commentaries?

• Daniel
    Favorite Answer

John MacArthur has some of the best bible commentaries I have ever seen. They come from over 40 years of teaching to his huge church and seminary verse by verse through almost the whole bible. A whole commentary book is just on one book of the bible.

You can look them up and special cd/s at gracetoyou.com I think that is the website, but just google John MacArthur and you will get a lot of good info.

Wycliffe is older but very thought inspiring. That is what I studies when I went to school.

Good Luck

Source(s): Dr. THeo

Honestly, the MacArthur Bible Commentary is an all-star. It's not so concerned with intimidating depth of historicity-contraversies and hebraisms, but it's valuable and talks straight (albeit kind of "DTS" as for views of tongues and the rapture)... wasn't made to impress people with erudition, but it counts great for results. It's the bomb, and surprisingly free of MacArthur's own opinions and views. (Which is good!)

I don't know what level you're aiming at (presuming ministerial or professional theology) but J. Vernon McGee's expositions have been published as a five-volume commentary, and they're nice.

I just got the Liberty University bible commentary; so far so good.

The International Bible Commentary (FF Bruce) has actually disappointed me a lot. Lots of heat, relatively little light.

I love Gill and you can get it free with esword. Likewise K&D for OT, and JFB.

Don't listen to that jerk about the translations; he's wrong. New Jerusalem in particular is outright mysogenist (sp?).

Your most accurate translation of the Bible with commentaries are the Hertz, Stone, and New Jerusalem translations. All others have severe inaccurate translations.

The Navarre Bible and Commentary is supposed to be excellent.

Watchtower bible tract society published many excellant books

on the book of james, revelation, daniel, isaiah, and the twelve prophets such as jonah, amos and others

one is online and that is What does the bible really teach

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_00.htm

Source(s): avid bible student
  • cheir

Best commentaries are by writers such as Gordon Fee, F.F.Bruce, Martyn Lloyd-Jones and John Stott.

You have to go book by book. The best thing to do is check reviews. I do it all the time.

peace