Megan
Lv 4
Megan asked in SportsSurfing · 1 decade ago

So wat exactly is minus tide?

I've been learning more and more about surfing. And i got a free tide book at HSS. And i was reading it and its really cool! its nice to know how the waves are gonna be before you go to the beach! But one thing i didnt really get was it said something about minus tide in red. soo whats minus tide?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good question. And kind of hard to answer. A minus tide is an usually low tide. Basically it's a low tide that is lower than the average low water height of each tidal day, when observed over time. Tide 'heights' are referenced to a base level set as zero. Confused yet? I am. For practical purposes, it means that the if you get to the beach at low tide and that low tide is a minus tide you'll probably see all kinds of rocks and stuff that is normally hidden under the surface of the water. If you surf along a jetty or pier you'll notice that the sand is exposed much further out along it than usual. It's most useful to know about a minus tide if the place you surf is very tide sensitive. My fave local break gets the best waves on a pretty low tide (the waves are perfect there when the tide is about 2) so for us a low tide means the water will be low for much longer because it has to come back up from minus to zero to above zero which takes a while and allows us killer surf in the mean time. If your local break works best on a higher tide a minus tide might wreck the waves completely. A minus tide is also worth knowing about in advance because if you see it on the tide chart you can be on the lookout in advance for any rocks exposed rocks that you normally might not have to worry about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Minus Tide

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So wat exactly is minus tide?

I've been learning more and more about surfing. And i got a free tide book at HSS. And i was reading it and its really cool! its nice to know how the waves are gonna be before you go to the beach! But one thing i didnt really get was it said something about minus tide in red. soo whats minus...

Source(s): wat tide: https://biturl.im/eVA5c
  • John F
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.