? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Marine OCS training question?

If i were to go into the Marine OCS training i understand that i need a college bachelors degree. Although I want the full training any other Marine will get, if not, harder training. So my questions are, is the training for OCS the same as regular infantry marines? Do those who enter OCS training do the crucible? When do I start my active duty? What are the benefits of OCS?

• Logan
    Best Answer

I have been through both. Boot camp was a pain in the butt because it was longer and they had ample time to screw with you over thirteen weeks and treat you like a mindless zombie. Boot camp is designed to make you instantly follow orders and shock you out of the civilian mindset do you can transition to being a Marine.

OCS is not as much training as it is screening. You don't go to the rifle range, spend weeks and weeks drilling, play two sheets and a blanket for days, do team week, etc... which is all great, but is not what I consider great training. OCS is much more screening and evaluating your potential to be an officer. You are expected to learn many of the same things, but most training is reserved for TBS. OCS is more physically and mentally challenging, bottom line. The only reason bootcamp could be misconstrued as more difficult is due to the length or additional time the drill instructors have to IT and mess with you.

After 8 years in as an enlisted infantry Marine I still learned a tremendous amount while at TBS which every Marine Officer goes to regardless of MOS. I really had no idea what training officers went through until I became one, and I was pleasantly surprised. You will be a better trained Marine before you leave TBS than I was after boot camp, school of infantry, and a year in the fleet.

The only people that think they need to go to boot camp to lead others who went through boot camp are potential officers that were not prior enlisted, but want to understand first hand what it is like to be enlisted. If you educate yourself and talk to your Marines there is no reason you can't learn what you need to without spending 4 years enlisted. The fact that you are even worried about it is a good thing, but my advice is the same as it was to my peers who were midshipman and are commissioned that thank me today.

The crucible is overrated. School of infantry was worse than that after boot camp as is many things you will do in operational forces. It definitely serves it's purpose, but there are plenty of great Marines out there enlisted and officer alike that never did the crucible and it didn't make them or break them. We didn't do a crucible in OCS we did a 13 mile hike into about another 12 miles of SULE 2 in black flag weather. I felt it pushed me harder than 2.5 days of the crucible, but I did the crucible in december with cold weather and freezing rain.

If you go to OCS you will not choose your MOS until TBS and then if you select infantry you will go to an additional 11-12 weeks of infantry officer's course which is an amount of training beyond your comprehension at this point, but is 10 times what you receive as an enlisted infantry Marine hitting the fleet. So if you are looking for harder training, go to OCS, TBS, and IOC. You will be challenged more than the enlisted route before you hit the fleet. OCS is just the tip of ice berg for an officer. I hope you take my advice, I have been on both sides. I am not crapping on being enlisted, I have spent the majority of my time enlisted, the Marine Corps just doesn't put as much time into training you until you have been in awhile as an enlisted Marine.

• laine

Ocs Marines

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Marine OCS training question?

If i were to go into the Marine OCS training i understand that i need a college bachelors degree. Although I want the full training any other Marine will get, if not, harder training. So my questions are, is the training for OCS the same as regular infantry marines? Do those who enter OCS training...

Source(s): marine ocs training question: https://biturl.im/1be7E

EVERY branch OCS starts out with basic training. You don't just waltz in off the street, sit down in a classroom and carry on. The first part of OCS is basic military indoctrination to orient you to being in the military. Anyone who tries to tell you that OCS does not start with basic military training is misinformed and passing on misinformation. The first few weeks are very similar, and in some cases harder than, basic training for enlisted. Back when I went through Navy Aviation Officer Candidate School we were under the loving care of Marine Drill Instructors and they admitted AOCS was tougher than Marine Basic for enlisted.

If you want to be a Marine Corps officer you really should know the answers to these questions.

You don't pick and choose what training you think you need or want to do. There are programs in place for officers, and there are programs in place for enlisted Marines.

Being an officer is not the same as being an enlisted Marine, therefore the training will be different.

One last thing. Just because we may want to be an officer or just because we have a degree does not mean we should strive to become one. You need to evaluate yourself and figure out where you naturally fit in. Don't try to be someone you are not.

Here's the thing, man: officers are in training for a MINIMUM of 14 months of training before we hit the fleet. Minimum. For me, it was 18 months. Even our admin officers and pilots have more infantry training and field time than 0311s do when they hit the fleet.

Based on these questions, I think you need to re-evaluate your concept of what a Marine officer is.

• ?

Umm... OCS is harder than boot. Boot camp isn't about attrition, the Marine Corps knows they need numbers of grunts. OCS is about weeding you out.

Haven't thought about this

Not sure how to answer this one