Will squats and star jumps etc help me loose weight? Could you recommend exercise that can be done at home?

Okay so im 15 and pverweight and want to shed the pounds before i was doing 50 sits ups and 50 push ups everynight but i was told that it would only tone my abs etc but i would see no difference unless i lost the fat covering it. So thats what i want to do loose weight instead of just tone up so will squats and... show more Okay so im 15 and pverweight and want to shed the pounds before i was doing 50 sits ups and 50 push ups everynight but i was told that it would only tone my abs etc but i would see no difference unless i lost the fat covering it. So thats what i want to do loose weight instead of just tone up so will squats and star jumps help this?

Could you recommend exercies besides running because i know that already i just want exercises that can be done at home to help me loose some weight. Also how much running would you expect to do each day for it to make a difference i will change the way i eat aswell. Like for how long do you think lets say jogging up and down stairs for an hour each day will make a difference added with eating healthy foods? If i did do this how long do you think it would be before i saw a difference?