Ayn Rand doesn't seem to tackle true altruism.?

I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged and I couldn't help but notice something. Rand speaks out against altruism and uses various people in the book to represent them. The thing is, through Galt's speech and various revelations in the story, it seems as if these people never even legitimately cared for... show more I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged and I couldn't help but notice something. Rand speaks out against altruism and uses various people in the book to represent them. The thing is, through Galt's speech and various revelations in the story, it seems as if these people never even legitimately cared for anyone else. They seemed to actually be altruistic purely to spite the great industrialists, whilst mooching off them.

The characters in her story honestly just seem like a bunch of vindictive parasites rather than the common definition of an altruist. They also seem to be people who lack their own judgment and follow the commands of others.

Granted, people like this do exist in the world, but they aren't really altruists. Maybe I'm interpreting Rand wrongly but it seems she really did a good job of portraying an agreeable good and evil, but didn't even fully understand what she was fighting against.

To me a real altruist should be someone like mother teresa or whoever runs around doing good things for others. They don;t necessarily have to sacrifice their life nor want to destroy those that don't.

What is her stand on true altruism then?