Is it safe to use Pam cooking spray to limit rust on my gas grill?

After I use our grill and it cools down, I spray the grates with Pam cooking spray. We've had problems with the grates getting rusty (even though we keep it covered). My thought is that the Pam might prevent rust from forming. But I'm worried it might also encourage bacteria or mold to start growing on the grates. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there something else I could spray on the grates to prevent rust? Obviously I can't use anything like WD40.

Favorite Answer

PAM even makes a special spray just for the grill and they recommend exactly what you are doing. But I agree with the foodie above, i would wipe down before you put fresh food on there.

I think you should not use the pam especially because it will still be there when you next grill and it will attract dirt and crap onto your grilled food. I suggest that you go out and buy if you don't already have one, a metal bristle brush that will scrape off any rust that could stick to your food, and use it before and after grilling. rust is near impossible to avoid on a grill especially because since it heats up and cool down so often. so for your grill just get a metal bristle brush, their kinda like steel wool but it like a brush.

• TC

You can use Pam or WD-40, IF you scorch the grates well, then brush it prior to use. The hot coals will burn off bacteria, and evaporate the WD-40, just don't drown them in it.

• Sandra

A condition physicians call "Pancake Nards" is rare yet serious side effect of Pam. Consult your doctor if symptoms persist.

I can't see any problems with that I would just wash it off before cooking and applyy new Pam to cook with.

I really dont know but see if you can help me with any of my questions . I think you should be able to use that .