More Americans favors lifting the US embargo on Cuba, Are they all crazy?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/pol...

Thirty-six percent (36%) say the United States should lift its embargo on Cuba, but 35% disagree in a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Twenty-nine percent (29%) are not sure what to do about the ban on economic activity between the two countries that has been in place since 1962.

Pluralities of both Democrats (38%) and voters not affiliated with either party (46%) favor lifting the ban. Most Republicans (58%)(NOT surprised) take the opposite view.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of liberals say the embargo should be ended, but 54% of conservatives disagree. Investors are closely divided on the question.

Thirty-six percent (36%) regard Cuba as an enemy of the United States. (YES. What have Cuba done to you lately? Did they took your 'Freedom'?) Just three percent (3%) say it is an ally. For most voters (54%), Cuba falls somewhere in between.

Only nine percent (9%) of voters have a favorable view of longtime Cuban leader Fidel Castro, who for health reasons formally stepped down last year and put his brother Raul in his place. But most still view Fidel Castro as the head of the country. Eighty-three percent (83%) have an unfavorable opinion of Fidel Castro, including 52% who view him very unfavorably.

Forty-five percent (45%) say life in Cuba will be better after Fidel Castro dies, but 14% disagree. Forty-one percent (41%) are undecided. Two years ago, 37% of Americans believed life in Cuba would improve after Castro’s death. Just 18% had a favorable opinion of the island nation 90 miles off the Florida coast.

The US is trading with China < a totalitarin capitalist country as we speak.. hmm....

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Big Sugar will NEVER let that happen.

"The Fanjul family, which moved to Palm Beach County after Cuba's 1959 revolution, has become an influential factor in U.S. business, political and civic circles on a national scope and in Palm Beach County...

They're rich, own a major sugar company, make big political contributions and have access to political figures -- like presidents -- that most Americans don't. Indeed, many Americans heard of the Fanjul name for the first time in 1998, when independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr said in his report on President Clinton that Alfonso Fanjul had called the president on Feb. 19, 1996, when Monica Lewinsky apparently was in the Oval Office. Clinton later returned the call and spoke to Fanjul for 22 minutes, the report said..."

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When former Tennessee Republican Senator and former Republican Presidential candidate, Fred Thompson goes on national TV openly flaunting the fact that he is smoking a cuban cigar, and no law enforcement agency does anything about it, then it is probably time to lift the embargo.

That is like openly smoking a marijuana joint in front of a cop.

Although I fundamentally disagree with the embargo, I am a patriot and will support whatever decision my government makes regarding it. For that reason, I will not support the Castro government with my money. Not for toilet paper, not for cigars.

• Noah H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

We trade with Vietnam and deal with North Korea..both communist countries...not to mention China. The reason Cuba is a different story involves a strong Cuban exile community in Florida, and any administration that considers showing Cuba the same consideration as we show Vietnam, North Korea and China would never carry that state in a presidential election. It ain't gonna' happen!

• 5 years ago

Cuba might have a repressive government, so why don't we lead by setting a good example. The past is the past. Lets reach out to the Cuban people. extending the hand of humanity

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lifting the embargo would mean 75% of Cubans escaping to America.

The only people left would be amputees, the 70+ set, and anyone else physically unable to swim.

• 1 decade ago

I support lifting the embargo; it has accomplished nothing after the “Cuban Missal Crises” was over. Hmmm… gee, that was a couple years ago if I recall.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It should remain

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.