Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why do you bots keep saying that all 14th amendment citizens are natural born citizens, when the man who wrote?

The 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868.

John Bingham confirms that understanding and the construction the framers used in regards to birthright and jurisdiction while speaking on civil rights of citizens in the House on March 9, 1866:"[4] [5] [6]

“ [I] find no fault with the introductory clause [S 61 Bill], which is simply declaratory of what is written in the Constitution, that every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen…. . . ”

- John Bingham in the United States House on March 9, 1866 (Cong. Globe, 39th, 1st Sess., 1291 (1866))

Update:

the 14th amendment, John Bingham, says that natural born citizen are born of two US citizen parents in-country?

Update 2:

Prester, umm so do 7 supreme court precedents such as Minor v. Happersett which not only states NBC is jus soli jus sanguinis (both parents) but also, that any 14th amendment US citizen can never be a natural born citizen

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The 14th Amendment absolutely DOES NOT state that "natural born citizens are born of two US citizen parents in-country".

Propagana, propaganda, propaganda.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, if you read what you posted, you'd see it doesn't say what you think it does. Bingham's statement does not limit natural born to those born of two US citizen parents in the US. It simply says that those people are natural born citizens. He never says that they are the only people who can be natural born citizens. But it is hardly relevant. Not only could Bingham not speak for the Framers of the Constitution, but legislative intent is not applied to Constitutional issues.

Also, stop blatantly lying about Supreme Court cases. I've told you before that Minor does not say anything of the kind. Go read it and find me where it says what you're claiming. The Supreme Court has never ruled about who is and who isn't a natural born citizen. yes, they have said that some people are natural born citizens, but they have never said that the definition applies only to those citizens.

• 1 decade ago

Every President is a 14th Amendment citizen. It simply says that you're a citizen if you were born in the US or have been naturalized. Every President falls under the former condition.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a perfectly valid opinion. But it is not binding as a Supreme Court ruling would be. The existence of this discussion indicates that there are at least some different interpretations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.

What's a"bot"?

Short for "ro-bot"?

What's a robot: A mechanical assemblage capable of repetitive action(s) when so programmed by humans.

And since YOU keep repeating yourself...

Source(s): . However, just to humor you yet-again, in the spirit of honorable debate (of course...), I reject your flawed premises and substitute MY version of reality, which means just as much to me as yours does to you. NOTHING that you cite precludes "parents" from being one parent, just as "under jurisdiction of the United States" does NOT mean 'in the U.S.' as you so often, but mistakenly, claim. Nor does your citation preclude the parent/s from being UNmarried. You are a voice crying in the desert. i applaud your efforts but decry your waste of intellect and effort and time. But your loss is not my loss, so keep flogging that dead horse; just realize that despite any and all effort expanded on your mission to revive it, it is dead and will always remain so. I only hope, for your sake, that the SPCA realizes that your dead horse is metaphorical, not literal... .
  • 1 decade ago

Ah, so this is how desperation smells like.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...and will you bots keep telling the same old stupid republican lies?

• 1 decade ago

lol! bots!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.