Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What type of ammo can the Ruger 10/22 use?

I am thinking about buying a 10/22 for recreational shooting. My question is, what type of ammo can I use with it? There is .22lr, subsonic, high velocity, and .22 magnum. Can someone help me out?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Chris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can use any .22 Long Rifle ammunition. Some rifles don't want to cycle reliably with subsonic loads using 40gr bullets. Replacing the recoil spring with one of slightly heavier weight would be a decent idea if you are going to use only the hyper velocity ammunition. Not the best idea though as very few .22 LR shoot as accurately with any of the Hyper Vel. stuff as they do with good High Velocity loadings such as Winchesters Power Point, CCI's Mini-Mag.

You can safely fire BB cap CB Short and Long and .22 Short and Long cartridges but none of the these loads will feed reliably from the magazine. Most will also require you to operate the bolt by hand to eject the casing. You can buy magazines and a replacement bolt/spring assembly to convert a 10/22 to .22 Short. Technically you wouldn't have to change the barrel but you'll get a ton of lube/powder fouling buildup in forward portion of the chamber which you'll want to make sure gets cleaned out before going back to using 22 LR.

The normal .22 LR 10/22 will NOT use .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire. Likewise the 10/22 Magnum model is not safe to use any rounds other then .22 WMR(aka WMRF) or the old & fairly rare .22 Win. Rimfire(.22 WRF) again rifle probably will not cycle this light load.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Irv S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Ruger 10/22 is made to take four cartridges.

It comes in .22 L.R., .17 Mach II, .22 rimfire magnum, .17 Rimfire magnum.

The.22 L.R. is the oldest cartridge and will offer the cheapest most common ammo with the most versatility.

You can get:

Standard velocity -40 Gr. solids at 1050 FPS

High Velocity - 40 gr solids at ~1250 FPS

If you're just starting out, the .22 L.R. is the way to go.

You'll need a lot of practice, and the savings in ammo cost will buy your next rifle.

Source(s): Old Target Shooter
  • 1 decade ago

.22lr only. Don't use the .22 Mag... too large

Any good quality ammo is good, but use it consistently. This way, you get used to how the gun performs and get the most from plinking.

I use Federal HV ammo, 525/box. I've had one for years and it just keeps on plinking! Do clean it after 500 rounds or so.. the powder residue gets pretty thick.

If you your really high velocity ammo (Mini Mag, etc), it will cost a bit more but you will be able to reduce your "drop" at 100 yards by about an inch or 1.5 inches.

Subsonic isn't really all that great. It is still loud and won't actuate the bolt. Unless you have an real need, get really low velocity ammo (Mexican no-powder type), otherwise then just use the Federal.

Source(s): plinking for 35 years
  • 1 decade ago

In the Ruger 10/22 you can ONLY shoot 22 long rifle ammo. It can be any configuration of 22 long rifle, BUT you can not shoot 22 shorts or 22 magnum rounds in a Ruger 10/22.

Source(s): Owner of a Ruger 10/22
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Al
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Any cartridge marked "22 LR, Long Rifle, Match, Subsonic, High Speed, Viper, Standard Velocity, Stinger, Mini Mag." 22 Magnum is a completely different round and will not fit inside your magazine, nor will it chamber in your breech. Shorts and Longs will work, but they will not feed properly in a semi auto.

Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

The gun is made to use .22LR. Now they can fire .22 short but need a conversion and different mags. There also made in .22 magnum but its impractacle as it needs to be cleaned every 50 rounds.

• 4 years ago

I have a 10/22 that will either fail to extract, fail to feed, or misfire about once a magazine with Federal Champion "blue box." If you feed the same rifle Federal Champion "Auto Match" it will run through the whole 325 round bulk pack without any failures. So it goes with .22 rimfire...

• Rick M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A Ruger 10/22 uses .22 long rifle in any configuration. It could (probably) use .22 shorts, but I can't imagine any reason you would want to. You can't use .22 magnums.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Only .22LR will feed from the mag. You can shoot short and longs if you load them one by one. If you wanted shot high velocity stingers without damaging your gun it needs to be modified with a stronger spring.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

any type of Long Rifle ammo will work. DO NOT USE .22 MAG!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.