Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What does this say about the Health Care Bill?

Page. 425-430 (Section 1233) of the actual bill(http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/111/AAHCA0... which, as far as I can tell after wading through several pages of legalese, merely amends Title 18 of the Social Security Act(http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title18/1861.htm) to stipulate that Medicare will pay for — not mandate — "advance care planning consultations" between individuals and physicians every five years, during which a spectrum of end-of-life options can be explained and discussed so said individuals can knowledgeably choose their own treatment preferences in advance...

***Pages 425-430***

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/111/AAHCA0...

first link does not work--it's the same as last link.

Proud Texan, you obviously can't read.

"nothing is mandatory" Did you people read this?

What part of (hhh) suggests the “Advance Care Planning Consultation” is not mandatory, especially the part about “end-of-life services”? Did you read paragraph 3, which goes out of the way to close a possible loop hole? Here’s paragraph (3):

“(3)(A) An initial preventive physical examination

21 under subsection (WW), including any related discussion

22 during such examination, shall not be considered an ad23

vance care planning consultation for purposes of applying

24 the 5-year limitation under paragraph”

Favorite Answer

TO RIGHT MATE

It's about creating a living will, which EVERYONE should have, not just seniors. As you pointed out, the consultations are voluntary; it's just saying that Medicare will pay for it.

People are freaking out about the term "end of life." Trust me, when you get into your 60s, you start thinking about that stuff. And should. It doesn't meaning "ending" your life; it addresses things that should be done as you approach your senior years.

Ya know, everybody dies.

Edit: Nothing in the paragraph you cite says anything about being mandatory. The 5-year reference is to the suggested time that a senior *should* receive the counseling, not *must* receive the counseling. Calm down.

• Daniel

Wow, such hateful answers. I guess it means nothing since no healthcare bill has been signed or even voted on by the house or senate. Anything else is just hateful speculation and a way to make people all up in arms about something that has not even been decided what the final draft will look like.

But if one wants to hate, they can find a way. The other answers are our national shame in my humble opinion. Quick one liner unthoughout irrelevant hate.

It means that the right wing will have no power in telling people how they should die. It means when I say "pull the plug" the plug will be pulled instead of a bunch of self righteous hypocrites trying to extend my vegetating life because of some misguided moral principal. It means I can die in dignity and not be forced to live by the means of a machine. It means freedom.

It means seniors can have their living will paid for. Wouldn't you like to be able plan such a thing in advance? Most people would.

However, if you're a dumbass ignorant con, it means "Oh No! The Guv'ment's gonna come an' kill grandma!!! Those damned socialists!!!"

What you explain is the way I understood this to be, nothing is mandatory, but it would be nice to know the end-of-life-options. I was just in the ER on Tuesday and they were wanting my Health care power of attorney and any living will, etc. Those are end of life issues and I know I should be getting these things done--a living will, what medical care I would want and would not want, and then the power of attorney to see that my wishes are carried out. Never once did I think they were going to euthanize me.

So does that mean I can get some cash money rebate if I die before I'm suppose to die?

And can I use that $40 as a down payment on a $600,000 house?

I have a part-time job at a burger joint! Been there almost a week now..

.

.

Source(s): After "Affordable Housing", how can you believe "Affordable Health Care"?

WHY IS IT THAT YOU CONSTANTLY TRY TO PUT YOURSELF OFF AS AN INTELLIGENT PERSON WHEN YOU TOTALLY PROVE YOURSELF TO BE ANYTHING BUT, BECAUSE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA AND FOXTARD MENTALITY,

I KNOW WHEN I WAS YOUNG LIKE YOU, I USED TO WATCH THE CHANNEL WITH THE MOST BOOB AND LEG SHOTS. BUT DON'T YOU THINK ITS ABOUT TIME YOU GREW UP AND STOPPED JERKING OFF TO THE FOX WHORES .....REALLY. I BELIEVE YOU HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO MOVE BEYOND MOB MENTALITY AND START THINKING FOR YOURSELF.. A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE SKIPPY.

It says that everyone should have a living will and if you lack the means or education to make one you will receive assistance so that you get to choose if you want to be hooked to a machine or just left to die naturally.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

it's for a living will so that a bunch of repubs don't make you stay alive even though your brain is dead as a door nail.

It allows ILLEGAL ALIENS to receive free healthcare while senior CITIZENS receive "counseling" and "Pain pills" instead of a pacemaker or hip replacement.

Now that's a good deal.... for illegals, the next voting block for the dems.