Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how to build electric car?

• John W
    Favorite Answer

The Urba Electric featured in the February 1977 issue of Mechanix Illustrated is a good example of how to build an electric car. GM actually built one of these to study while developing their electric cars.

Many elements of the design are no longer available i.e.: the donor vehicles for the steering and suspension components and the electromatic continously variable transmission but modern equivalents can be substituted especially now that solid state motor controllers are available so that clever mechanical solutions like the CVT aren't needed. Modern CVT's are also available if a mechanical solution is still desired.

• !

with lots of money and a good education

recommended watching ,who killed the electric car ?

just before they started mass producing the hummer.

its got a nice bit in it where the electric powered Datsun leaves a fully build up dragster for dust at the local drag strip.

another huge advantage is there is no need for a gear box.

basicly the engine shaft connects strait to the diff with an incredible amount of torque that will just keep increasing in speed.

• Nata T

save up money and go down to the electric car dealership. Build a pile of money in front of the seller

The one EV car we currently have (have 2 vehicles that run on hydrogen also, 1 Ethanol & 1 Biodiesel) we converted from a vw bug & is free to charge. As The Ranch is completely off the grid all electricity comes from solar panels & wind generators, which we also built ourselves.

However I did charge up at Costco charging station in Carlsbad California (I actually only drove up there to fill up) if I remember right it was around $2.00

Not sure if you’re interesting in doing it yourself, but I’d be willing to walk you step by step threw the conversion. I've converted 3 of my own cars (a datsun truck, ford van, & a vw bug) & a few for neighbors. I've also converted cars to run on hydrogen, ethanol & biodiesel, by far EV is the easiest.

If you’re interested here’s what it would entitle…

- The engine compartment is first cleaned out of any gasoline components.

- Electric components are then installed in exchange.

- A battery bank is built & incorporated.

- Existing starter & driving systems are connected.

- Turn the key, step on the gas pedal sending more energy to the electric motor, & thus more power to the drive system, which in return creates more speed, more acceleration.

- The system has normal automotive top speeds & acceleration, typical to the vehicle your modifying. If your top speed was 85 mph & your acceleration was 1 mile per min, then this will be what your left with after the conversion.

The methods are extremely simple, making the process possible for anyone, everyone, ANYWHERE.

Typical tools, hardware & supplies are used, making access to parts available for all.

Electric Conversions can be easily accomplished in ANY model vehicle, even tractors, Generators, types of machinery, etc.

Project lengths range from 1 day to 1 month.

If you’re interested I wrote a guide on it which is available at www agua-luna com

My last EV conversion ran me about $1400. Everything is available online. Here’s a list of what you'd need...

Advanced DC Motor

The motor is an 8" Advanced DC series-wound motor. It weighs 107 pounds & is rated at 68 peak horsepower. These motors are available in several sizes.

Adaptor plate

The adaptor plate mates the motor to the transmission. It is constructed of 1/2 inch aluminum & is pre-drilled with bolt hole patterns for both the motor & transmission. An aluminum spacer is also used for proper spacing between the shafts of the transmission & motor. Adaptor plates are available for many cars.

DC Motor Controller

The controller regulates current going to the motor. It is a solid-state device that uses a pulse width modulator (PWM) that sends short bursts of current to the motor at a rate of 15 kHz. Controllers are available from both Curtis & DCP.

Potbox (Potentiometer)

The potbox is a 5K ohm throttle between the controller & the accelerator, similar to the way a sewing machine pedal works. The potbox's lever arm is attached to the existing accelerator cable.

Main Contactor

An electric relay that serves the same purpose as the ignition switch in a gas car. When the key is turned to the start position, the contactor closes the circuit to allow current to flow to the controller.

Circuit Breaker

A safety device that shuts down power for servicing or during an emergency. The circuit breaker is installed under the hood & can be switched both off & on from the drivers seat with an extension or cable.

Main Fuse

The main fuse protect the system from high voltage spikes. A fuse should be installed at each battery box or group of batteries.

Shunt

A shunt is placed in series within the wiring as a means to connect meters. Shunts are available in different sizes for both high & low power configurations.

Charger interlock

A relay that keeps the circuit open so nobody will inadvertently drive off with the charge cord plugged into the car.

DC/DC Converter

The DC/DC converter is similar in function to a gas car's alternator. It charges the 12 volt accessory battery by chopping voltage from the main battery pack down to 13.5 volts.

Hope this helped, feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions if you’d like assistance in making your first self sufficient steps, I’m willing to walk you step by step threw the process. I’ve written several how-to DIY guides available at www agua-luna com on the subject. I also offer online & on-site workshops, seminars & internships to help others help the environment.

Dan Martin

• fred

join a local group who can advise you.

there are several yahoo groups, pick one for your country.

eg in UK http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/

If you are at school then they can run a project. http://www.greenpower.co.uk/about/

It depends on what your skills are, what resources you have and what you want to achieve - only you can answer all that

are you GM?