Ursula asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Any tips on potty training a puppy?

I'm sure there are people that asked this question already but... I found out that I've probably confused my new puppy. She is 8 weeks old and she's a Pembroke welsh corgi. Our family decided to have her use an ugodog tray. until we heard from close friends that when they were taught to potty train inside they tend to like peeing/pooping on carpets/rugs because it has absorbancy. I know it's OUR FAULT that we're not directing her well enough but we decided to have her go potty outside she was fine till dinner time and she had an accident. How do we prevent accidents? We even try to have a scheduled for her (by the way it's day 3 since we got her I believe she's almost 9weeks old now)

There were quite a few of you that gave me great tips. Thank you so much!!!

Best Answer

ok i remebr doing this to my dog

Here are the basics of a simple potty training routine for a puppy.

1. Take him outside (and stay till he's done or a long time has gone by with no results):

As soon as he wakes up in the morning (You don't have to be awake.. much!)

Right after his breakfast

Right after his lunch

Right after his naps

Right after taking him out of his crate

Right after his dinner

Right after any snacks of much size

Right before his bedtime

If he whimpers in the night

Praise him in a cheery voice when he produces.

2. Only feed him and give him water when you can take him outside right away. Especially in a hot or dry climate, you would normally never let dogs be without access to fresh water, but for the weeks that you are training, this limitation will speed up the potty training process for your dog. There will be fewer accidents and so the dog will more quickly learn what you want. But use your judgment about any risk of dehydration. House training dogs and puppies is a matter of using judgment all along!

3. When he does pee or poop where you don't want him to, quietly clean it up in a matter-of-fact way. This isn't a time to talk either loving or annoyed talk to him; essentially ignore him while you do the cleanup. Certainly never yell or physically punish him in any way.

4. When you and he are both home, keep him with you as much as you can, whether at your side (a leash can be handy for this once he accepts it), in a confined area, or in a crate, or otherwise nearby. (If you are crate-training, do keep the puppy in the crate as little as possible.)

Keep in mind that you are building a relationship at the same time that you are teaching him one of his first lessons. Think sometimes about what the world must look like from his perspective, filled with giants who are sometimes very loving and other times confusingly angry. Practice patience!

Source(s): my dog : king charles spaniel start traning at age 1 and now he is 2 he doesnt do it in house ;)

Don't worry, she will soon forget the ugodog tray. Yes, your friend is right. Teaching a dog going indoor is ok is not the best idea. Do you live in an apartment or house? I have a yard, what I did when housetraining my dog (he is 13 mths now) is put a piece of artificial turf on some river rocks at a corner of the yard, then I enclose it with a play pen...every hour or so, right after he wakes up, or right after drinking/eating, I would take him to that area. Now he is well trained only going to that area for his business.

8/9 weeks old puppies have very little control of the bladder. Just be consistent and vigilant...don't scold if she has an accident and praise LOTS when she does the right thing.. Eventually she will get it. I have a Newf, even he got the idea in few weeks. It takes him all the way to 5 mths old to have good control of the bladder. It takes time for the muscles around the bladder to develop.

Get yourself an appropriately-sized crate and start using it - this is by far the easiest way of housebreaking, and also keeps your pup out of trouble when you're not around to supervise. An internet search on crate training will get you lots of info, but there's a good guide you can download here to get you started: http://www.cratetraining.net

The only way to prevent accidents is to have her under your direct supervision. If she can't be under your direct supervision, she should be in the crate. Accidents will happen, though ... remember, she's only 9 weeks old. It's going to be a while before she's fully house training - she doesn't even have full control of her bladder yet. Patience and consistency are what you need to train a puppy. Good luck.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aM5RF

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

Sorry this says "he" and not "she"....I have it pre-written.

Set a timer to remind you to take your puppy out every 30 minutes. Take him to the spot you want him to potty and wait patiently until he does. Once he seems to be doing good with that, then set the timer for 45 minutes, and so on and so on. Work at getting it to 2 hours and up. Always take him to his potty spot. If he poops in the wrong place (house, or where ever) pick up the poop and put it where you want him to go and show him nicely so he will get the idea.

Also, take him out every time he wakes up, about 15-30 minutes after eating, and after hard play.

Never tell him NO when he potties in the wrong place because you will confuse him. He will think that the act of going potty is bad, not where he is going potty. And never stick his nose in it. You don't want to scare him or make him angry with you.

Use positive reinforcement EVERY TIME. Tell him something like "good potty" when he gets it right.

Remember, he is a baby. Be patient and consistent. It takes a while to develop bladder control, but give him time and it will happen.

Good reading would be "Training Your Puppy" magazine type book by the editors of Dog Fancy magazine, and "House-Training" also by the editors of Dog Fancy.

Good luck :)

Here is potty pad info too if you want it.

We also use potty pads in the house. When she poops somewhere she isn't supposed to, pick it up and put it on the potty pad and nicely show her. If she pees where she isn't supposed to, soak it up good with paper towels and put the paper towel on the potty pad and nicely show her. If you see her sniffing around put her on the potty pad. Put a potty pad in her favorite place to potty if you have to just so she gets the idea.

You also might want to clean and deorderize the spots on the floor where she pees and poops so she won't be attracted back to those spots. We use Fresh N Clean oxy-strength....it works great the first time, no need to use it over and over again to get rid of the smell and stain. I would swear by it!

Remember, she is just a baby. She hasn't completely developed control yet. It takes time. Be patient. Accidents will happen. And seriously think about training her to go outside too

Go to the pet store and buy a soft flat buckle puppy collar that will fit the dog and a matching six-foot leash, a plastic airline-style crate just big enough for the dog to lie down in, and a large bottle of Nature's Miracle cleaner.

Go home. Put the collar on the dog.

Put the dog into the crate and close the door.

Clean every place where the dog has urinated with the Nature's Miracle. It takes away residual smell; dogs like to pee on the scent of old pee.

New Routine:

The dog will be crated any time you can't watch her.

When you are home, she can come out of the crate, but then you will clip the leash onto her collar and fasten the other end to your belt, so she will always be near you and you will be able to see when she starts sniffing around for a place to squat. With a corgi, you have to watch ::closely::!

Pup must be taken out frequently; you'd rather take her out, on her leash, and do nothing, then find her peeing on your shoe. She must go out every time you open the crate, play with her, feed her or wake her from a nap. She's little; take her out every time you think of it, and stay outside, playing, even after she does her business.

In order to actually housebreak her, start carrying her favorite treats in your pocket or by the door you take her out. When she does her business outside, say, "Hurry up, good girl"! When she's finished, tell her, "Good hurry up!! Good girl!!" and, at least that first time, give her treats. Make a huge fuss over what she just did. Praise her every time for at least a full 60 seconds. She'll think you're insane, but she'll take the prize. Trainers call it "jackpotting" --you're impressing on her how GREAT it is when she goes outside.

When you catch her making her mistake in the house, IGNORE her. Don't look at her, don't let her interact with you, turn your back if she comes near you. Don't talk to her. Take the leash off your belt and loop it around a doorknob, then shut the door so it holds the leash. Then just get the Nature's Miracle and clean it up.

Once the mess is cleaned up, the incident is over. Act as if nothing happened. Treat her as you would if nothing had happened. Put the leash back on your belt, resume your activities.

Keep on taking her out often, on a leash, so you notice when she does her business, so you don't miss a chance to treat and praise her. While you're at the door, you say, "Want to go hurry up? Do you have to hurry up?" I prefer the keyword "hurry up" to "go potty" --it's so much more dignified. :)

Eventually, she'll connect the keyword "hurry up" with relieving herself, and she may even go to the door to cue you. The first time she does that, jackpot her while still in the house, and then walk her outside and jackpot her again when she goes.

Remember to keep interactions happy and fun; she's a sweet baby. Play with her.

young puppies are not able to "hold it" very well and tend to go to the bathroom on the floor if you don't take them outside or whatever... so what you should do is try to take your puppy outside about every 2 or three hours for a couple of weeks, then, as they get older, you can increase it to longer hours... my puppy is 6 months and already can hold it for about 6 or 7 hours... but, anyways... when potty training, i don't recommend using training pads..... but, you can if you want... i trained my dog to go outside... the way to do that is to take them outside every few hours like i said... every time they go potty outside, you reward them by giving them a treat and saying good puppy/girl/dog...

and of course, there will be accidents on the floor... every time you catch them doing it, grab them and pull their head down by the "accident" spot, rub their nose in it and yell, "no, bad girl! you do that OUTSIDE!!!" and then clean it up... if you dont catch them doing it and it has been sitting for a while, just forget about it and clean it up, otherwise they won't know what they are getting into trouble for...

hope these tips help

Look for a sign she uses to let you know she has to go potty like: waiting at the door, dancing, barking at the door, ect.

And when she does have an accident, put her nose in it and tell her no, then put her outside.

Also put some of her poop outside to let her know shes supposed to relieve herself out there.

Source(s): pottytrained my dogs

Feed her outside, and wait for her to go toilet before you let her back in. Puppies need to pee every 15minutes or so, so make sure she can get out if she needs to. Make sure she doesn't just pee outside, make sure she pees on the grass, this way, she will learn that grass is the only thing she can toilet on.

You need to potty train the dog outside.

My dogs signs of having to go to the bathroom, are pacing and sitting next to you and whinging.

Every 4 hours my dog has to go out, and when ever she was little, i would give her a bone, and complent her. She loved it.

Good luck with doggies! (: