Is it true L.Ron Hubbard (Scientology founder) was into black magic?

I got this from an interview with his son:

http://www.lermanet2.com/scientologynews/penthouse...

"L Ron Hubbard Jr., ( Ron DeWolf ): I believed in Satanism. There was no other religion in the house! Scientology and black magic. What a lot of people don't realize is that Scientology is black magic that is just spread out over a long time period. To perform black magic generally takes a few hours or, at most, a few weeks. But in Scientology it's stretched out over a lifetime, and so you don't see it. Black magic is the inner core of Scientology -- and it is probably the only part of Scientology that really works. Also, you've got to realize that my father did not worship Satan. He thought he was Satan. He was one with Satan."

Does anyone have any other sources that are "known for their articles"? -- Yea, Penthouse isn't.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It wouldn't surprise me. L. Ron Hubbard worked with James Parsons in his "Babalon Working," and he was involved with Thelema for a while.

I'm very skeptical of that article, however.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

L. Ron Hubbard was interested in magic before he created Scientology and Dianetics. He was a friend of Jack Parson's who was at the time the head of the American chapter of the OTO, Ordo Templi Orientis. It was definitely occultism but I don't call it black magic.

A factual account of Mr Hubbard's involvement with the OTO can be found in J Gordon Melton's Thelemic Magic in America - the Emergence of an Alternative Religion.

• 1 decade ago

"Black magic" is an ultimately useless term, really only used by people to deride other people's practices.

Hubbard was involved in the occult for a number of years. He would describe Aleister Crowley as his good friend, although the two never actually met (although they did have an associate in common, Jack Parsons). Hubbard was part of the OTO, which is an occult order.

There are many articles out there about occult principles that can be found in Scientology.

But occult principles are not the same as "Satanism," which is common accusation against occult beliefs which is almost always false.

The Church of Scientology even admits Hubbard's involvement, although they claim he was attempting to infiltrate and sabotage the group.

Here's a place to start. It offers LOTS of footnotes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard#Person...

here's another article that has lots of references:

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/occult.html

Edit: LaDonna, Hubbard was dead in 1988, so I doubt your dad met him in a parking lot.

• 1 decade ago

Penthouse was reporting Hubbard's son there. L Ron Jnr's stories are more than a little far-fetched, just like his dad's.

Hubbard was indeed into the occult at one point, though. He lived in the house of rocket scientist and occultist Jack Parsons for a while. Parsons was a disciple of Aleister Crowley and both Parsons and Hubbard attempted to try and conjure a super-being. The friendship went sour after Hubbard stiffed Parsons over a business deal and stole his girlfriend. Scientologists, of course, have invented covering stories to make Hubbard's motives in all of this appear altruistic...

Source(s): This is attested by several sources but the most complete account I know of is in Russell Miller's biography, 'Bare-Faced Messiah'.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

He was a sci fi writer who failed at several business ventures. Then he got in trouble for giving people therapy without a license (or any training) and charging money. So then he called it a religion, because as a religion he could get away with practicing therapy without a license. That's also why Scientologists are against psychiatric medicine - because even under the guise of religion you can't dispense such medications with a degree in medicine. Scientologists charge big bucks for classes to rise up in the ranks of the religion.

• 1 decade ago

L Ron Hubbard was just crazy and very brilliant SOB.

The Syko Ward

• 1 decade ago

That is the first time I have heard that. All I know is that it was based on his self-help books and nothing to do with magic (There is not Black magic except to denote when the best time to use it Black being waning moon ~ full to new moon, white being the waxing moon ~ new to full).

• 1 decade ago

mumbojumbo by any other name..Satan is a loser. L Ron talked a lot of people int believing the Scientology rubbish.

• 1 decade ago

Can't answer that. Sorry. I DO KNOW that in 1988 my Dad threatened to beat his *** in a Target parking lot when he was hawking his joke of a book "Dianetics". True story. I don't think Lucifer is dumb enough to use somebody like L. Ron to do his work.

Source(s): Did a seminary paper after my Dad did what he does best.
  • Never heard that one. But by the end he was using so many psycho-meds, I would be surprised if he didn't think he was satan.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.