Should I take AP Statistics or AP Calculus?

I am going to be a high school senior in the fall and i was wondering if I should take AP stats or AP calculus. My school traditionally goes to calculus and i have heard that it's better for college but it seems like calculus isn't really useful and that statistics is better any suggestions?

Best Answer

I would go with Statistics. A lot of high schools tell you that Calculus will look better on your record when colleges look at them but chances are you'll probably have to take Calculus down the road in college again. You're right, Statistics has a lot of useful things to learn that are applicable in real life. Calculus does too I guess but stats is more fun. :D

Plus anything that's an AP level, your college won't care if its AP Underwater Basket Weaving. They just like to see that you took higher level stuff.

Source(s): Had the same dilemma my senior year. Picked stats over calculus.

What I think is that if it is possible to take both classes, you should take them both. Otherwise, it is mainly up to you whether to take calculus or statistics. Since statistics was an elective in my school, I took it sophomore year . What I saw was that for statistics, you generally need common knowledge up to Alegbra II, but includes lots of writing and analyzing of data. For calculus, it's a common AP math course that most students take, while it helps the students out alot when taking other advanced calculus or college math. To summarize this all up, calculus and statistics are actually both actually different math classes. Stat may help you alot when you are think about majoring in business or accounting, and college normally look and see if you took calc rather than stat. So for my suggestion, take both if you can, but if you had to choose one. I'd say go with calculus.

It depends. You're probably good at math, and calculus will be a lot more fun. Statistics is a lot of tedious simple calculations. Calculus is like algebra, it has puzzles. Both of them have limited application to real life. Figure out what career fields you want to go into and see if either applies.

I've taken both and I liked calculus and hated statistics so I'd go with calculus.

AP Calculus is definitely harder. Statistics is much easier.

Calc

Statistics is more useful in the real world then calc...

so of course you should take calculus, remember school is not there to teach you, its there to make you fail. So you have to beat them at their game, take Calc.

i just graduated. i took calc. if you like word problems, go for stats. but calc looks just as good on a college app as stats does

Source(s): me

ap calc

Source(s): save statistics for college when you can take it as an easy course to offset your harder ones

it all depends on what you want to get your degree in... if its math or something that will require calc then take that.... most degrees only require stats and if you are going to major in something like buis then take stat

I have a few friends that are like math geniuses and straight A students who got F's in stats last year, I've heard from like half a dozen people that clac is way easier, that's form teachers, students, and parents.