Can you determne a cell phone provider with just it's area code and phone number?

Can you determne a cell phone provider with just it's area code and phone number?

lets say the cell phone number is (123) 456-6789

Do 456 prefixes belong to verizon wireless in area code (123)

and 658 prefixes belong to cingular wireless in area code(212)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You should check out http://myWhoCalledMe.com. Because of number portability, there are no longer any sure-fire standards on phone numbers assigned to certain companies. Usually the searches on myWhoCalledMe will let you see the company for free. You only need to pay if you wan the subscribers name and address.

• 1 decade ago

I used to work for a cell phone company and the area code tells you nothing about the carrier. That is locked down to a specific region.

However the three digit exchange *can* tell you who the "original" provider is. Meaning that if someone had a 456 prefix and Verizon Wireless owns that prefix, that means that phone number started with Verizon.

But like someone else said, you can port your number from carrier to carrier. So just because that number started with Verizon doesn't mean that it still belongs to them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can't tell by looking just looking at it, but you can put it into a reverse search directory. The free searches should give you the carrier. If you opt to pay for it then you will get the carrier information plus more.

This is one site that I recommend. You can try a basic search for free:

http://reversemobilenumber.blogspot.com/

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No you cannot. I switched from Verizon to Sprint just this last month and I kept my same phone number.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Im fairly sure their is a way to do this but ive no idea where their is a list of codes etc.

• 1 decade ago

no, too many people bring their numbers from one carrier to another for it to work like that.

The previous poster is correct, they go by region, not company.

• 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no, prefixes belong to a region, not a provider.

• 1 decade ago

NO. YOU CAN EVEN KEEP THE SAME NUMBER YOU HAVE FOR YEARS IF YOU SWITCH TO OTHER NETWORK. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.