Tank Show asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Like MMA, did people think football, hockey, baseball, etc we're fads when they got popular?

A lot of people say that MMA is nothing more than a fad. They say it's popular because a lot of punks (As in, you & myself) enjoy watching violent punks beat up other violent punks (As in, Kenny Florian & BJ Penn this weekend).

A lot of people say that within a couple of years from now, nobody will be watching MMA and that the UFC's rating will drop and eventually fold.

When another professional sports such as tennis and basketball gained popularity did they get the same rep?

Ok, I am a die-hard hockey fan but let's look at it this way. If you didn't know any better, which do you think would stand the test of time?

-Guys with blades on their shoes, with curved sticks hitting a black rubber disk on ice.

-Guys with different martial arts backgrounds fighting in a ring/cage.

Seriously, look at it that way.

I don't see how MMA is a fad that will go away. These forms of martial arts have been around for hundreds of years. Now, ever since the early 90's we've finally been able to see them compete against each other in competition.

Unless fighting becomes unpopular, I can't see a competition which involves a mixture of these forms of fighting going away.

What do you think?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • CM77
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

People who think MMA is a fad need to get their heads out of their @$$es. People still see it as a barbaric pastime, whose practitioners have a lack of skill; these are some of the best trained sportsmen on the planet, there is a code of honor among them, and the sport still has less serious injuries/ death than football, boxing and hockey. Despite the violent nature of the sport, when is the last time you heard of anyone being put in a wheelchair due to participating in an MMA match? Tens of football players are paralyzed every year in football games; brutal hockey fights are regular, and cheered. I just don't understand people.

• 4 years ago

Statistically, rugby has fewer injuries than football. The reasoning behind this trend is that when you play a sport with a lot of protective equipment you get a mentality that you are shielded or protected from any injury. This is far from the case and quite often leads to players getting serious injuries. In rugby, there is no equipment (some wear a scrum helmet, but that's mostly just to prevent cauliflower ear) and the same goes for MMA. You know what your body can handle and without the equipment you take precautions to prevent injury.

• 1 decade ago

The people who say that are people who aren't ready for change. MMA is currently more popular than Boxing- which the people you are speaking of still consider the sport of fighting. MMA is here to stay- and given enough time, MMA (honestly, UFC- not MMA, will become known universally as the sport of boxing.)

• 1 decade ago

It has been gaining popularity since it started. I think now, it has reached its peak and will stay the same, maybe decline in popularity a little in the next few years.

At the moment every kid that has been in a school yard fight want to be a fighter in the UFC.

Just like when WWE was huge everyone wanted to be a WWE star.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

then what is boxing it isnt a fad. boxing is a bunch of street thugs. mma isnt. they arent punks for example how crappy is kimbo he sucks cuz hes a street fighting punk. mma is much more complete then other sports and i think boxing is starting to die down

• 1 decade ago

When something has been popular for over 10 years, I think you have to stop calling it a fad. Anyone who says that doesn't know shite.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.