Fever blisters or cold sores are small red blisters that usually appear on the lips and outer edges of the mouth. They often display a clear liquid and form scabs after a few days. They are caused by herpes virus that becomes active when something triggers them. There is no cure for cold sores, but there are remedies that will reduce the severity and frequency. They appear after colds, fever, exposure to sun and stress during menstruation.
Foods that contain chocolate, peanuts and other nuts, grains, peas, seeds, oatmeal and whole-wheat products should be cut out or reduced from the diet. Cold sore is preceded by tingling, burning or itching sensation, fever, and enlargement of lymph nodes close to the sores and a general feeling of malaise.
- When you feel the tingling, burning or itching sensation, rub juice from aloe plant on the affected area. Dab of aloe gel is effective too. Aloe will begin the healing process immediately and not allow the sore to grow.
- Apply cornstarch paste to the affected area.
- Mix a drop or two of grapefruit seed extract either with aloe or olive oil and dab it on the sore.
- Rub ice cube on the sore for 10 minutes every hour at the onset of fever blisters. It will prevent the movement of the virus to the skin.
- Extract of lemon balm reduces the symptoms and speeds up the healing process.
- Combine equal parts of tinctures of echinacea, calendula, oats, burdock, and lomatium. Take ½ tsp four to fives time a day to soothe the inflamed tissue, remove the toxins from the body and kill the viruses and bacteria.
- Topical application of extract of mint will speed the healing of the blister.
- Drink several cups of sage tea with a dash of powdered ginger till the blisters are not cleared up.
- Steep an ordinary tea bag in boiling water, cool it and then apply to the blister. The blister should disappear within few days.
- Vaseline will help to moisturize and soften blisters to prevent them from cracking and bleeding.
- Dab a drop or two of St. John's Wort essential oil. It not only soothes, but reduces the pain and speeds up the healing process.
- Apply Witch Hazel on sores.
- Put some common salt on your moistened index finger and press it on to the sore for a minute twice a day for 2-3 days.
- Apply spirit of camphor on the sore.
The reader of this article should exercise all precautions while following instructions on the recipes from this article. Avoid using if you are allergic to something. The responsibility lies with the reader, not the site, and the writer.