Aim asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 1 decade ago

using component DVD player or receiver with HDMI monitor/TV?

I have a DVD player and a Denon receiver. Both have component, composit, and S-video outputs and inputs. They are both a few years old, and have no HDMI inputs/outputs.

I'm about to buy a HiDef TV with HDMI inputs/outputs. In preparation for delivery of the TV, I'm installing a wall mount, and will hide the wires in the wall – in advance of the TV delivery. I'm hoping to run only HDMI wires in my walls, and connect them to my DVD player & receiver via an adapter (such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_3_10?url=sear...

Does anyone know if use of an adapter will allow me to connect a component cord FROM my DVD player to send a signal (play a movie) TO my TV through the HDMI cable connected to my to-be-purchased TV?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

CAUTION: You must use in-wall rated wires (with CL2 or CL3 rating) as this is the fire-code in many areas.

You dont have any HDMI sources now but you want to future-proof the wires. I respect that.

(Trust me - the labor to install the wires swamps the cost of the wires.)

Here is my suggestion:

- Install a long HDMI cable (2 would be better)

- Install a long SVideo cable.

- Install a long Optical cable (out from TV to receiver)

- Install Cat6 networking cable

- Install RG6

Here are my reasons:

HDMI

Future proof (2 would be better) (and you really should upgrade your CATV/Sat or whatever service to HD which will give you HDMI.

SVIDEO

You can run all your stuff with SVideo now. While component is better - its a lot more money for something you are going to abandon in favor of HDMI later. So just ignore component for now.

OPTICAL:

All HDTV programming is in 5.1 just like your DVD player. Your TV will output 5.1 sound which you must feed into your receiver. While your cable/sat box may give you the optical output - it's nice that the TV can feed sound back to your receiver.

CAT 6 NETWORKING

This is cheep and easy and I am seeing a LOT of press about internet-accessable televisions for Netflix on Demand, Google Apps, Vudo, etc. For the price - it is cheap insurance to add a Cat6 cable.

RG6 COAX

This is also cheap and easy. Simply plug an antenna to the other end, have the TV scan for channels and you may get 3,5,..10 local HD stations for free. (Use www.antennaweb.org to see where the TV towers are around your home).

WHERE TO BUY:

Go to www.bluejeanscables.com and buy a Belden based HDMI cable. It is in-wall rated, has something like a 300 lb pull strength and wont cost an arm and a leg. The owner has rolled out a 100 ft run and says he saw no issues.

(Runs of early HDMI cables over about 15 feet had issues so you dont want ultra-cheap HDMI cables for in-wall use.)

Then I would buy one of the cheaper Tatung HDMI cables for the second HDMI connection to give you flexibility.

For the Optical, Cat 6 cables go to www.monoprice.com - but try to look for in-wall rated cables. (Cat 6 is in-wall, but I'm not sure about the optical)

For the RG6 coax - go to Radio Shack. All RG6 coax is in-wall and outdoor rated.

CABLE MANAGEMENT:

Go to Radio Shack and buy their $2 pack of wire labels. Do a simple "A", B", "C"... label on each wire. For behind the TV - do it right behind the connector and 6-12 inches back. For behind the equipment - every foot until it disappears into the wall.

DO NOT use wall-plates with connectors. This is for techno-challenged people. Do run all your wires through electrical outlet box's (they provide strain relief) but buy blank wall plates and drill holes for the wires and cut a slit to go around the wires. This will give you a neat install, but not break the signal path.

I would separate the HDMI and Optical cables into 1 bundle, then the Coax, Cat6 and SVideo into another bundle.

(I know I gave you way too much info, but I've done this type of stuff a lot and made mistakes/regrets later.)

• 3 years ago

Component Dvd Player

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would add both HDMI and Component. You need to make sure that your Denon can do the video conversion for you for the component sources, otherwise you may need all of the video source types to have a monitor cable. In the future you may decide to replace the receiver and then you can use the HDMI. I also believe in the next guy and future proofing the set up. each of those RCA's are coax and can be re-purposed if enough length is left over. I would also add ethernet as well.

Source(s): Ph.D Physics MSEE
  • TV guy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Any adapter will degrade video quality. You don't need one more thing in your video pipe.

Simply use Component cables directly from the player or receiver to the TV. Don't forget to install an optical cable and a coax cable as well. You may never need them, but if you leave that house, the next guy might. Do the job correctly - you only want to dig once.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You should connect all sources to the Denon receiver then run a component and audio cables from the Denon to a converter and then HDMI to the TV. You could then connect multiple video sources and use the Denon to switch between them.

The cable only solutions do not work. Component is analog and HDMI is digital. You need processing to convert analog to digital. Something like this is what you would need.

http://www.amazon.com/COMPONENT-AUDIO-TO-HDMI-ADAP...

• Noel L
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Visit this website: www.hdtvsupply.com

They have any cable or adapter you can think of. Make sure you check the reviews and the forums on the one you want. A lot of times these only work with certain situations.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. That's exactly what those adapters are made for. You should be good to go. However, you may have a cable length issue.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.