If YHWH (Yahweh, Jehovah, or however you personally pronounce the 4 Hebrew letters) is the Father's name...?

..... and the Son's name is Jesus (Yeshua, Yehoh·shu′a‛ or however else you personally pronounce the name of the One who came to earth to die for mankind's sins).......

Then what is the Holy Spirit's name?

NOTE: By "name" Vot means a *personal* name and not a descriptive title.

So you get the idea, examples of descriptive titles for the Father include:

Almighty (Gen 17:1)

Lord (Eze. 3:11)

Maker (Is. 45:18)

Creator (Is. 40:28)

Ancient of Days (Dan. 7:9,11)

Grand Instructor (Is. 30:20)

The Son:

Christ (Matt. 16:16)

Son of Man (Mt. 8:20)

the Word (John 1:1)

Mighty God (Is. 9:6)

Prince of Peace (Is. 9:6)

Eternal Father (Is. 9:6)

Holy Spirit:

Helper (John 14:26)

Comforter (John 14:26 KJV)

Witness-bearer (1 John 5:7,8)

(Oops- Vot can't find anymore)

What is the Holy Spirit's name?

Update:

Tim F- the question is about the 3rd part of the Trinity, not the angels. Why do only the other two have names?

Or are you putting the angels on the same level as the "Godhead" now?

Anyway, with false religion anything goes, so.... whatever rocks your religious boat =P

Update 2:

Hahaha troll to troll- that's not a name- that is just "holy spirit" in Hebrew.

Let's stick to English, ok? ;)

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The holy spirit or powerful force is just that...a spirit that flows from Jehovah and is holy because of it's source.

Jesus used God's force to create all things as God's Master Worker..another name for Jesus.

Let the force be with you.....lol

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A wonderful question! I'm glad it was asked.......

I find that the name Yhwh is a name that can't be spoken. It is a name that can only be whispered. Try it. What a mysterious and wonderful Name.

Jesus emptied himself of his divinity for a time so he could be seen, touched, smelled, heard, and tasted. We were permitted to have a very good grasp on this! He was given a man's name so everyone could relate to him.

But the Holy Spirit???? Also a person, or a personality. He doesn't have a name, only this designation. The Word is clear on the purpose and function of the Holy Spirit, but there is no physical description, unlike the Father, or the Son. You can't see him come or go, like the wind, only the effects of his passing and movement.

There are so many wonderful mysteries about the HS. This results in some denying His existence, or the truth of His person-hood and limit Him to a force or even a fluid. I'm relieved that he isn't fully described. I think He's un-nameable and physically indescribable! That doesn't mean we can't know Him feel Him or experience Him. Oh yes, we can experience him. Knowledge "about" the Spirit is only theory really. To Know something is to experience it.

The HS is completely awesome!

Sometimes I use his older designation...The Holy Ghost. Makes Him him sound spooky. He likes that...it makes him laugh!

B )

• 1 decade ago

(Psalm 104:30) 30 If you send forth your spirit, they are created; And you make the face of the ground new.

It's Jehovah God’s invisible active force .....Not a person....The trinity is a False teaching ,Everyone who has Studied the Bible Knows This.....

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

• Elijah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Excellent question!

The Holy Spirit does not have a personal name because the holy spirit is God's active force. There is no biblical evidence that the impersonal, nameless Holy Spirit is a person. In fact, the biblical evidence supports just the opposite:

1) The holy spirit is an "IT". (Num. 11:25) Also, Acts 2:33 calls the Holy Spirit "that" (or "this" in other versions) which according to the KJV New Testament Greek lexicon is a thing, not a person:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk....

2) "SOME" of "IT" can be PORTIONED OUT & distributed like a substance. At Numbers 11:17 we see: "I will take ['some' - NRSV, NJB] of the Spirit which is upon thee, and will put IT upon them" - ASV (compare KJV, RSV, NRSV, AT, LB, NEB, REB, NAB, JB, NJB, Beck).

3) The H.S. can LITERALLY be "pour(ed) out". In Acts 2:17,18, God pours out [ekxeo, ekxew] from [apo] his Spirit upon all people.

4) Even TRINITARIAN publications admit that the H.S. is NOT a person:

"The majority of NT texts reveal God's spirit as someTHING, not someone" - New Catholic Encyclopedia, p. 575, Vol. 13, 1967.

"In the OT the Holy Spirit means a divine power ..." -p. 269, The Catholic Encyclopedia, 1976,

"On the whole, the New Testament, like the Old, speaks of the Spirit as a divine energy or power." - A Catholic Dictionary

There is no biblical evidence that the Holy Spirit is a third person of God:

1) Nowhere in the Bible is the Holy Spirit ever said to be an equal member of a trinity.

2) Nowhere is it mentioned in the Bible the words, "God, the Holy Spirit," or "The Holy Spirit is God."

3) There is never mentioned a vision, dream or clear description in scripture wherein God and the Holy Spirit are shown as the same person.

4) If the Holy Spirit has always been the third person in a triune God, then why did the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD disregard the Holy Spirit as a member of the Godhead when they made Jesus 'God' in 325 AD? Why did they wait until the Council of Constantinople in 381 AD to include the H S in the formula?

5) If the Holy Spirit has always been the third person in a triune God, then why would Jews instructed in the OT scriptures and in the teachings of John the Baptist, NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS? (Acts 19:2)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Is it possible that Jesus has a particular, individual title because of the role He played here on Earth? Would've been kinda strange to have a man with no name here for 33 years.

I have no problem with the Holy Spirit being called nothing but "Holy Spirit". Perhaps that's how God wants it.

• 1 decade ago

Did you also notice there are others in Heaven with no names?

Angels, Elders, Beasts, Cherubims, Seraphims, etc...

Can you explain why at least some of the JWs here say the Holy Spirit can fill thousands at any one time and therefore cannot be a personal being?

And yet Satan is a personal being, an evil spirit who can fill thousands at any one time just the same way?

Which spirit is more influential, a personal being with far greater personage, or an active force with zero personage?

Sorry Vot, I would rather believe the Holy Spirit can outwit Satan and still be a person in my mind, it is foolish to think if a Spirit has no name He is nothing but an "active force".

By the way, there is only one "force" in the Bible that refers to a spirit, and do you know what kind of spirit that is?

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Oh, sorry Vot...I didn't realize the subject here was the Trinity...now I know.

If names are that important, then should we all expose our full names here on this Yahoo! forum?

• 1 decade ago

We also know the name of a faithful angel - Gabriel.

Is Gabriel more important than the holy spirit (if the holy spirit is a person) so that we should know his name and not that of the holy spirit?

Wait! maybe its Gabriel...no....Gabriel told Mary that holy spirit will come upon her then he left, so it can't be him. Besides Gabriel was never poured out on anyone.

Maybe the holy spirit, while sometimes personified, is not really a person. That would explain references to it being poured out and filling people.

• Yes, excellent question!

This is not a perfect analogy, but we might compare the holy spirit with our breath. In fact, the root words for "spirit" in the Bible -- Hebrew ruach and Greek pnuema -- also mean "breath."

With our breath, we form words and with our words we get things done.

Likewise, creation begins with "And God SAID..." And we are told that "by the word of YHWH were the heavens made, by the spirit [*pneuma*, Greek LXX; "ruach," Hebrew text] of his mouth all their array." (Psalm 33:6)

God's "breath" doesn't have a name, any more than ours does. The Bible only describes it as being possessed by God, it is "God's spirit." And as such, it is holy.

As I said, the analogy is not perfect, and I put "breath" in quotation marks. But the similarity gets the point across. The holy spirit is not a Person. As such, it has no name. Therefore, also, Matthew 28:19 does not mean "name" literally, but rather, it means "authority." The holy spirit operates in the making of new disciples.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • 1 decade ago

The Holy spirit is God's active force and is not a person or part of any godhead or trinity and therefore has no personal name.

• Janice
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The problem is you are thinking Jesus spoke English instead of Hebrew. No Jesus didn't forget how to pronounce his Father's name.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.