Does anyone use the Omnipod or Freestyle Navigator?

I am type 1 diabetic. I use one injection of Lantus (40units) plus novolog at each meal ( 5 units plus sliding scale). I live all by myself and worry myself sick at night when I go to bed because I have had lows overnight in my sleep. I think a constant monitor with alarm would be beneficial to me. I am considering trying both of these products but would like people's opinion who have used either one of these. Thank you for answering.

Best Answer

You know I think that they are two different animals. The Omnipod is a pump, and Freestyle Navigator is a continuous glucose monitor system (CGMS). Either one can be used without the other, but many people (including me) use both a pump and a CGMS. The CGMS will monitor your BG and sound an alarm when it goes low or high (or with some, when it is projected to go low or high.)

The pump replaces MDI (multiple daily injections) by delivering a continuous flow of insulin (basal) which replaces the need for the Lantus, and also by adminstering boluses, typically with meals, to cover the carbs you eat or to correct for high readings. All of the newer pumps have many features that help manage your BG. With all of them, you can program in your sliding scale (insulin to carb ratio) and correction factors, and basals, with different amounts at different times of the day.

The CGMS manufacturers caution you that they are not accurate enough to replace finger-sticks, but rather are best used to catch trends and alarm you when necessary. They all stress that you should adminster your insulin dosages based on finger sticks (or alternate site tests) with a traditional glucometer.

I use the Animas 2020 pump and am very happy with it. I don't use the Ping(which lets you program in a finger-stick automatically with its built-in meter) because I use the Freestyle Navigator CGMS which has its own built-in glucometer. I had previously used the Dexcom Seven (it has now been superceded by the Seven Plus.) I find the Navigator to be more accurate and easier to use. There are pros and cons for each, as well as for the Minimed, which many people use.

You should speak to your endo or CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) and get their advice. You might want to try out several pumps to see which you prefer. All of the manufacturers will arrange trials for you. You can try to do the same with the CGMS. Typically, they will tell you to buy it and then you will have a 30-day return. Check with your insurance company. Virtually all of them cover pumps for T1's. Many but by no means all will cover the CGMS. In any case your MD will have to prescribe it and certify as to its medical necessity before your insurance will cover it.

Good luck.

No wonder you are having lows at night, 40 units of Lantus is quite a LOT of insulin. I used to use Lantus in combo with Humalog (similar to novalog) I took 15 - 20 units of Lantus daily and used my sliding scale for Humalog which was anywhere from 1-10 units depending on my blood sugar and the amount of carbs I was about to eat. I probably took upwards of 60 units total daily.

Two years ago I switched to the MiniMed insulin pump and its been awesome! I use only the Humalog with the pump and have been able to cut my daily total to 30 - 45 units.

Both the OmniPod and MiniMed are great pumps. MimiMed offers a continuous glucose monitoring system that works in conjunction with their insulin pump.

The great thing about a pump is that if you have lows at night, you can set the pump to automatically decrease its basal in the evenings to avoid hypos! If you take 40units Lantus that is 1.6 units per hour all day long. You can set the pump to 1.6 units during the day, then to decrease to say 1 or .5 units between the hours of 10pm and 3am or whatever works for you. You have so much more control of your insulin dosing with the pump. It makes managing diabetes so much easier and you won't need to go as far as get a continuous monitoring system.

Talk with your Endo about the pump, and do your research online to see which one fits you best. I HIGHLY recommend getting a pump (either OmniPod, MiniMed or OneTouch Ping)

Source(s): MiniMed Pump user.
  • meltz

The PDM is a mixed glucose meter, bolus calculator and prompt administration interface on your Omnipod pump, that's in certainty the distant administration on your pump. perhaps sometime it's going to be an iPhone. Glucose meters are like inkjet printers, they save remodeling the attempt strips so as that they have got a patent to guard against a 0.33 social gathering from making a attempt strip that works with their meter so as that they are able to cost a intense cost for the attempt strips. this is why they consistently choose so you might improve your meter. No 2 meters from diverse manufacturers will use the comparable attempt strips and many times no 2 meters from the comparable producer will the two. you will in all threat would desire to purchase new attempt strips however the innovations isn't sparkling. I did locate an editorial the place human beings have been attempting the countless strips with the PDM yet with diverse outcomes, curiously the variation is that the newly released strips can code the meter and for criminal reasons, Omnipod won't be able to be greater sparkling on what is going to artwork with what purely yet. It easily appears like the hot attempt strips are not authorized for use with the PDM yet and there are 2 kinds of older strips with the PDM making use of the "classic" layout yet insurance firms have been transport the newer strips for PDM purchasers even nonetheless they have not been authorized for use. appears like in the journey that your old meter grow to be a mini meter then you definately're out of success yet whilst it used the classic strips then you definately would be ok. there's a patent available for a glucose meter that doesn't use attempt strips or choose for blood, it makes use of a laser on your finger, then you definately press harder and take a 2nd laser reading from the comparable spot with the blood pushed out, it may then calculate what's interior the blood by making use of removing the 2nd reading from the 1st. I doubt if it is going to ever be dropped at marketplace, a minimum of no longer at a functional cost.

I don't have diabetes, but Nick Jonas does. He also has type 1. He has the omnipod and said it really helped him. I think you should use the one that is more comfortable on you. I know you said that you wanted people who used these products before to answer the question, but I just want to help.