Please help me find addresses in New York!?

I am traveling to NYC next week and would like to know whether there's a key to understading addresses, like which street to look for first, how building numbers run within the same street, etc. Thank you in advance for you help!

Favorite Answer

Well, in most of Manhattan there's a grid system.

Numbered streets run from First St. in the south to about 218th street in the North, a distance of about 12 miles or so.

The grid is divided in half by 5th avenue with "East" streets to the east, and, needless to say, "West" streets to the west, of 5th Ave. The East/West building numbers start at #1 at 5th Avenue, going to the east on the East Side, and to the west on the West Side.

Of course, that grid is only in effect in Manhattan, and not at all below First St., so, if you're looking for guidance in the other vast areas of New York City, you'd better get a good map!!

Good luck, and the link below is to a map of Manhattan showing the grid...

There's a system for the numbers and the way to calculate what block a certain number falls on, but I would have to look it up.

Most people find things in NYC by mentioning the nearest cross streets; for example, the Empire State Building is at Fifth Avenue and 33rd Street. The address is 350 Fifth Avenue, but I just had to look that up, see?

What you have to know is that most of Manhattan after a certain part is laid out in a grid. Avenues run north and south, and streets run east and west. There are many more streets because they are running horizontally, and Manhattan island is only a little over two miles wide at its widest point (and about 12 miles long, I think). The avenues are long and run from First Avenue on the east side to 12th Avenue on the west. It's not completely simple, though, because there are extra avenues thrown in like Madison and Lexington, and things happen like Fourth Avenue becomes Park Avenue South and Sixth Avenue is called Avenue of the Americas for a large portion. Then Broadway runs the whole length of the island from lower Manhattan all the way up, and it sort of cuts a long diagonal through the city.

Downtown the streets have names and they are not laid out in the grid. It is the oldest part of the city. The very bottom is where New Amsterdam began, and is where you find Wall Street. There's a map they put out, I know that has all the neighborhoods and streets in lower Manhattan--like Chinatown, Little Italy, Financial District, Tribeca, etc.

It's really easy to get around, you'll be surprised. If you can look at a map and just generally visualize Manhattan and know north, east, south and west, it will be even easier. Don't be afraid to ask for directions, even people who live and work here have to do that sometimes. I smoke, so I'm outside my work building a couple of times a day downtown and people ask me for directions all the time. So you can feel safe asking the office smokers, lol.

Source(s): And I just found a map with a link to the address locator! http://www.nyctourist.com/map1.htm