First home with VA home loan, getting a little confused on things help?!?

We have been pre-approved for a VA home loan. Now I am house hunting and I'm wondering how much of a pain a foreclosure or short sale is going to be with VA. I know VA has their stipulations on closing costs, and condition of the house. Then I'm seeing lots of foreclosures/short sales that have a list of... show more We have been pre-approved for a VA home loan. Now I am house hunting and I'm wondering how much of a pain a foreclosure or short sale is going to be with VA. I know VA has their stipulations on closing costs, and condition of the house. Then I'm seeing lots of foreclosures/short sales that have a list of things that often contradict the VA such as they will not repair anything, which is VA required. Are banks often flexible changing some of these things? Or am I better off avoiding short sale/foreclosures since they tend to drag out longer and probably will conflict with VA requirements?

I do not have a realtor yet, I'm taking a trip this weekend to look at some places. We are moving from San Diego to the Phoenix area. I just wanted a better idea what I'm getting into here.