How to transfer ownership of a house without realtor, between family members?

My uncle is going to sell me his house. Me writing a check and him cashing it is the easy part. From there, how do I go about getting it put into my name so I'm the registered owner? Like my name on the deed and on the property taxes and etc.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You do not need a lawyer. This is something you should be able to do yourself. You need to contact your Registry of Deeds Office. In my state they are located at the seat for each county. They will be able to provide you with a certified copy of the original deed. They will also be able to tell you exactly what info you need to get that and to do a deed transfer. Usually you need to get a tax form from the town office from where the property being transferred is located, a certified copy of the original deed with signatures from both parties and a notary and a check for whatever the cost of the transfer state tax and maybe a small fee to the Registry office.

    My family has done this a few times and we have never used a lawyer, the fees - not counting the state tax - we're always under 40 bucks.

  • 1 decade ago

    Hire a real estate lawyer to draw up the papers and record the deed. You do not want to take the chance of doing this yourself in case you make a mistake and end up with a faulty deed which would cloud your title if you went to sell the house in the future. There will be fees to record the new title/deed that you can't avoid and a good lawyer will be able to give you an estimate.

  • 1 decade ago

    Cash deal? Have an attorney draw up a Quit Claim deed, both of you sign it and make sure it's recorded at the county assessors office.

  • 1 decade ago

    Simply contact a title firm to handle this for you, unless you do not want or need title insurance. Otherwise, it's a simple document change at the local land office. Be aware that there may be state transfer fees involved as well.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    you need a title company or attorney to handle it. they draw up the deed and make sure it gets recorded properly. should cost about $600 total.

    depending upon which state you live in will determine which one to use. i suggest calling a title company right now and asking them if they can help you close this transaction.

    you should also obtain title insurance policy. sellers pay for this in almost all cases.

  • 1 decade ago

    You don't need a realtor for your transaction. Contact a local Title company or real estate attorney and they will handle all the paper work for a nominal fee.

  • wizjp
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Any lawyer can conduct a private transaction and protect both parties.

    Start there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.