Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

With the increase in smaller cars on the roads, will the death rate from fatal car accidents increase?

It's pretty common knowledge that a larger, heavier car performs better in an accident than a lighter, smaller car. While there are exceptions, do you think that fatal car accidents will go on the rise as people drive the smaller lighter cars?

Aimee- I appreciate your sentiment, but have you actually considered the unintended consequences of a smaller car? I have no issue with people driving smaller cars, but there are trade offs.

Carter - highway fatalities have been going down in relation to cars getting bigger. This trend for smaller cars is relatively new and doesn't show up in the numbers yet.

Favorite Answer

You have a point, but do we want our vehicles to continue getting bigger and bigger as everyone seeks to protect themselves and their families by having a car big enough to crash safely with last year's slightly smaller model?

I'm not making fun of the dangers here. Auto crashes are the #1 cause of preventable death in the USA and this is a tragedy. But the key to preventing these deaths is to allow only safe drivers to operate on our highways, not to get "monster bumper cars" to protect ourselves from the unsafe drivers. We have the technology for student drivers to use a "drive simulator" similar to the flight simulators aircraft pilots train with. Getting an automobile operator's license should be just as difficult as getting a pilot's license or captain's license. Bigger, "safer" cars is treating the symptom, not the cause.

I am from Detroit area, working for automotive industry... You can engineer and produce a small car that will have supreme safety. Technically, yes, bigger cars are CONSIDERED to be safer in crash than a small car in crash with a big truck. What people sometime fail to understand that the death in accident does not always comes from the scull actually being crushed but rather the speed one’s brain hitting the inside surface of one’s head. And guess what, bigger the car, higher the inertia…

Edit: I totally agree with oimwoomwio

It could very well go down, actually. It's kind of hard to be angry and intimidating to other drivers when you're driving a mini fake car that beeps instead of honks, when you're hunched over in the driver's seat instead of sitting straight up with lots of room to flail your arms and produce selective fingers at drivers that make you angry. Also, being so tight and constrained in the tininess of the mini "wish I were a real car" would make it VERY difficult to text while driving, drink while driving, talk on your cell phone while driving and in some cases even sing while driving. You definitely won't be able to eat while driving, so pretty much everything we get into accidents for while doing other things while we're driving, would pretty much be eliminated. Of course, being that uncomfortable would make us all more cranky and cranky drivers make for stupid drivers................ so, not sure. I'm getting a cross country bicycle and a backpack if these mini cars that your government officials won't EVER be caught driving in become mandatory (but that's ok. It's all about sacrifice isn't it- ours not theirs).

I don't think so.

Larger SUV's seem to be more prone to rollovers than smaller cars, airbag and antilock brake technologies are improving, and smaller cars have less inertia and are more maneuverable than bigger ones. I've been an EMT for 17 years, and I've seen as many people die in minivans as in compact cars.

The main dangers in travelling by any car are driving too fast and not paying attention. Thinking that having a ton of steel around you is going to save your life is asking for trouble. Drive defensively, keep your attention on what you're doing, and drive a fuel-efficient vehicle with airbags, front-wheel drive, and antilock brakes.

Any accident you have in any car, owned or not, increases your risk. Increased risk can lead to an increase in premiums at renewal time. If your risk goes high enough, insurance may take the option to not renew you at all.

Not true at all. We now have more advanced safety technology in cars. Highway traffic fatalities have been decreasing significantly throughout the years despite the increased traffic on the roads.

Edit: Wrong- bigger does not always equal safer. And no, cars have not got larger.

LMAO! The right never gives it a rest do they.I guess this is the argument that you guys are going to use when there are more electiric and smaller cars on the road and when we are less dependent on oil

• In fatal car accidents probably. Listen if one is meant to get in a car accident and die, it was written before they could write.

• D S

Yes.

Absolutely.

I can't wait to plow into one of those little Prius'.

I've been wanting to try out my new cage bars on the 'ol truck.