try solving the problem :)?

Maria is carrying a full course load, working part-time, and trying to raise three children on her own. She can’t seem to get to get to her coursework in time to finish it every week. How should she approach this problem?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Maria needs to conduct a short term cost-benefit analysis supported by a longer term strategy designed to achieve four fundamental objectives:-

(1) To improve the personal and social development of herself and her three children

(2) To maximise financial advantage through her means of employment in order to facilitate objective (1)

(3) To further her education in order to progress objectives (1) and (2); and

(4) To maintain an element of personal satisfaction and enjoyment in order to avoid getting totally screwed up in the pursuit of objectives (1), (2) and (3).

:-p

I hear you, it's tough. I'm married, with two kids and earn a good living as a lawyer, thank God. Even with a good job, a wife and a good support network around me, it's still difficult, so I can only admire you for keeping it all together.

But don't try and deal with everything on your own. Talk to people, your tutors, employer, the local authority, trade unions etc. Look to see if there are ways in which you can fit what you are trying to do around what they are trying to do, and whether there is any help out there for you.

In practical terms, your problem is time - you need more than is available.

Look at where you are spending your time. Assuming you can't or don't want to reduce the amount of time spent with your children, then you have to reduce the amount of time spent on something else.

One option might be to discuss with your educational establishment whether you can attain the same qualification/credits over a different time frame. In other words, instead of the course taking 6 months and you having to submit a piece every week, is it feasible to extend the course so you could submit one piece every 2 weeks?

Yes, you will wait longer to get the qualifications you need, but in the meantime your work/life balance will be restored, you can spent more quality time with your children, and probably perform better in your job.

On the subject of the job, is there something available which has a better rate of pay so you can work fewer hours? Stating the obvious here but if you spend less time working but earn the same money, you can spend more time on your course.

Of course the theory is great and the practice is often significantly harder to achieve. But the reality is that no-one can have it all and have it now. Everyone has their comfort zone and it's up to you as to where you find yours. Putting in the effort and time now will bring rewards in the long run, so I always say it's better to spend a bit longer doing something and doing it right, than to necessarily look for the fastest route.

There are as many different situations as there are people in them, so some of this may be irrelevant, and maybe all of it is irrelevant. I do hope however that you find your balance and wish you the best of luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.