Chad
Chad asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

getting rid of spiders and other insects.......?

Just moved into a new house and the basement is finished so there is the play room and a bedroom down there....I'm finding pill bugs and spiders everywhere. Whats the best way to get rid of these and keep them away? Do those plug in sonar repellent things work?

Favorite Answer

My grandmother had the same problem. She didn't want to call the exterminators due to their high fees so tried remedies herself. Here's what she did that helped tune the insect population down.

She got industrial bug sprays for various types of bugs she's having, and she wet cotton balls/old rags with them, I think she also soaked some cotton balls in disinfectant. With those, she went around the house looking for cracks and dark spots, she then plugged them with the cotton balls and placed rags in spots they might be dwelling inside the home. Here's what might happen, a ton of bugs will crawl out of hiding places to get away from the smell; you can just squish or transport them outside with a big jar. After that, if you change the cotton balls and rags once a week, you should see a significant result. Of course, the smell will keep spiders away too.

If you have small children, you might want to be extremely careful that they don't have access to them; also keep the rooms ventilated so you don't have a build-up of bug spray smell around your house all the time.

Well, I hope I helped!

Source(s): Grandmother's bug remedies.

Personally I don't like to use poison in my bedroom. So what I do is; 1- get a mask/ or a shirt to go over your nose. 2- buy a BIG box of baking soda. when you know you'll be outta the room for at least 2-3hrs 3- pour it in your carpet ... get the corner's and keep pouring it out until the box is empty... and let it sit the bugs can't breath- 4-vacuum (make sure you put a new vacuum bag in before you start) real GOOD. Get the corners and take your time... carpet is the worst thing to have in the bedroom. This is where you sleep it should be clean and bug free. Can you imagine what is under the carpet? icky!

• moomie