Does Srimad Bhagavad Gita approve of the Sati pratha?

when shri krsna left for Go Loka, his wives died with him too...meaning that they were all divine beings forms of either Lakshmi devi or radhajee, but for normal/average hindus, does the gita approve of this sati pratha when the wife dies along her husband?

JAI SHRI KRSNA...

thanks...

Best Answer

‘SATI' is an ancient Sanskrit term, meaning a chaste woman who thinks of no other man than her own husband. The famous examples are Sati Anusuiya, Savitri, Ahilya etc. None of them committed suicide, let alone being forcible burned. So how is that that they are called Sati? The word ‘Sati’ means a chaste woman, and it has no co-relations with either suicide or murder. The term ‘Sati’ was never accompanied by ‘Pratha’. The phrase, ‘Sati Pratha’ was a Christian Missionary invention.

The system of SATI PRATHA was never a hindu custom. When the Mughals came to India, especially Rajasthan, they used to loot and murder men and then rape their wives. Since for hindu women it was not acceptable they started commiting suicide in order to maintain their pride. But unbelievably they even used to commit crimes on their dead bodies so the wives used to jump in the fires of their husbands. This was later misused. Nowhere in a hindu scripture is sati pratha mentioned. SATI MEANS PURE IN HINDI if I am correct. This system was wrongly used by people later.

Hinduism may have adopted to certain bad practices like SATI PRATHA due to outside influence. However, the core of Hindu scriptures adores women. In fact, Sri Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita “Among women I am fame, fortune, speech, memory, intelligence, faithfulness, and patience; of poetry I am the Goddess Gayatri verse, sung daily by the intelligent.” (Gita 10:34-35)

I am not an expert in Bhagavad Gita and I have to read and understood it in full. So far as I have understood there is not mention about SATI PRATHA anywhere in Gita.

Regarding Krishna's wives, we know he had many of them but about their death nothing has been told in Gita anywhere. -

Source(s): -

Actually After Sri Krishna left this world, his wives didn't actually die with his body as a Sati. Sati is against Vedas and not valid, approved, discussed or even cited anywhere in Hinduism.

Sati is only what some local people managed to write into some books, these books are mistaken for Vedas, and hold lesser value than the Vedas, Vedas being the sole and highest abode.

No there is absolutely nothing written about Sati in the Gita, I have read the Gita, I like reading religious books.

I have read BagavadGita and no where has Krishna mentioned Sati. Infact these systems were later introduced in society after mughal invasions.

However, there are instances in some of the scriptures of sati practice but in those times it was purely voluantary. the chaste and Pativrata women would consider them selves incomplete witout their husbands and would prefer to accompany them in death rather than bearing the pain of seperation.

Any epic that is written earlier was a mode of communication to the society to tell what should be an ideal idol look like. In this epic the Lord krishna is considered to be Param Pita parmeshwar him self and then the trruth of life had been explained through him. What is this life? How should one consider his life? What are the values of relationships?Where from this life began and where it ends? Basically life Pholosophy can be learnt from this.

Gita no where mentions about krishna's departure or his wives.

you may be talking of some other book

CAPT EDIB : before writing non-sense or before giving thumbs down, open your eyes and see what she is asking. the question is about Gita and not puranas

Also I must tell you that the real meaning of Sati is not burning with husband, but this word is used for a woman who is fully devoted to her husband

Burning was mainly started by Rajasthani women to save themselves from wrath of winning muslims. So instead of getting raped by barbarians, they preferred death by burning with their husband, and this was called Sati Pratha which was banned by British.

It was more of a social evil later, hence not approved by law

ALSO READ WHAT JAYARAMNA HAS WRITTEN ABOUT THIS.

(You muslims first aim is to point fingers at others, but you forget that yr 3 other fingers are pointing towards you)

• Appu A

I agree that, there is nothing about this kind of habit, in gita."sati" is not mentioned in any of our religious books. but, during those times, wives did not want to live, without their husbands.they willingly sacrificed themselves. But, some people made this habit as a custom, during the middle period. Many Hindu religious leaders, strived hard to stop this habit. The existence of this habit, may also be because of the mu-gals, who has drained our country from it's prosperity and culture.

There was no protection for Hindu women and they have been kidnapped

and captured, forcibly by the mu gals.the men, their husbands ,who tried to stop them were also attacked and killed. We cannot count the no. of temples, destroyed, during the mu gal period. Many cows, that were worshiped as gods, by Hindu people were also captured and killed.There are stories about the people, who gave their life to protect their cows,females and temples.To protect themselves, after their husband's death, they may sacrificed their lives, and this habit(sati) may have spread in other places also.

no, actually "sati pratha" and "bal vivah" came into hindu culture during mughal period when mughals forcibly capture the girls whom they like.

• ......

With no intention to hurt any body especially my Hindu friends..........

It is true.

" The 8 queens of Krishna, who have been named, with Rukmini at their head, embraced the body of Hari, and entered the funeral fire. Revati also embracing the corpse of Rama, entered the blazing pile, which was cool to her, happy in contact with her lord. Hearing these events, Ugrasena and Anakadundubhi, with Devaki and Rohini, committed themselves to the flames." -- [ Vishnu Pur. 5.38 ] [ Vishnu Pur. {Wilson} p.481 ]

"If a woman’s husband dies, let her lead a life of chastity, or else mount his pyre"[Vishnusmrti xxv.14] [Clayton 13]

I've simply reproduced scriptures. I am sorry again if I hurt any body.

...........

EDIT:

SHIVAM....

Are Puranas or Manusmriti less pious than Gita ?

And remember these scriptures were written long back before the rule of Mughals. Hence it is A B S O L U T E L Y wrong to blame Mughals for Sati Pratha.

I request you to contact your learned people and study the scriptures before reaching a conclusion.

........

Source(s): Scriptures...
    • Sreedevan4 years agoReport

same issues on which Dr. Ambedkar and Raja Ram Mohan Roy fought..