Irish 313 asked in TravelUnited StatesDetroit · 1 decade ago

Is Detroit a safe place to live?

Say zip code 48223 or 48238. We've checked Sperlings Best Places but what do you folks on the ground think? What about Washburn Street off Grand River Ave? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

i live in southwest detroit

i wouldnt reccomend southwest

but other areas are fine

• Ciana

Wayne State/New Center area. Detroit police have a horrible response time and are backlogged.Criminals know this and it works to their advantage. Wayne State has its own police and they can respond in less than a minute. I won't live anywhere that cannot guarantee quick police response times and that would be my top pick outside of the suburbs. Some of areas along E.Jefferson are coming back around, with apartments being renovated.Also, some of the complexes along Lafayette west of Mount Elliott, and Chene, south of Vernor are ok, but do your homework, there are quite a few housing complexes there and they vary.Apartments with 24 hour security are better bets. Individual detroit cops are honorable, but they work in an understaffed, under-budgeted department that is badly mismanaged.You want to find some place that has protection beyond the DPD. Millender Center apartments are very safe but are about $1000/month or more. Hamtramck is cheap but the crime numbers are distressing.Ferndale is farther out (15-20 minutes from Downtown) but vibrant and very safe.

In the city? Not so safe, but it all depends where you live in the city and all that. Downtown / midtown is the best, anything else is hit or miss. Areas on Moross St. by Grosse point are just as nice as anywhere else.

Also, even though Detroit is arguably the most dangerous city in the country, suburbs are very safe. Troy, for example is one of the safest cities in the country. So it all depends where and how close to Detroit you want to get.

I am from Chicago and want to visit Detroit. I hear Ann Arbor and Troy are nice, and the metro area is huge. The people are also nice I've heard. I also know that it is poor and is trying to make a comeback. If I were you, I'd live and work in the suburbs, but if you want to visit downtown check out their visitor's website visitdetroit.com. Good Luck!

I don't know if you are aware of the city tax that is associated to living and/or working in the city. I personally would find a location outside detroit city limits. You will save on taxes and insurance rates.

There are a lot of nice little pockets in Detroit, but then of course there are the nearly abandoned ratholes as well. Indian Village is one of the nicer kept areas of the city, from what I hear. If you want safe, the suburbs would be better, for sure.

I would say 48314 and anywhere around it but to be honest if you stay north of ferndale and royal oak you will be fine i like northeast like rodchester and sterling heights area but i have a family so if your not bringing kids then live in royal oak there is such a night life and lots of cute houses for rent it has a great downtown and the hot spot to live in Detroit Metro area!

Source(s): Moved from Texas to Detroit June 2008 so I have been here a year my husband works downtown and we live in the suburbs!

Brightmoor area (48223) is not a very desirable place to live and hasnt been since the mid 1980's

I would not move there. Try across the border in WIndsor, if you have work there, or the suburbs or auburn Hills. Detroit is freaky. No people downtown,just homeless and crack houses.

No way. That is an awful area to live!

Check out Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, etc.