Information on Fairies/Faeries/Fae?

I have a question about these winged creatures. Actually, a few questions. See, I'm writing a story and have recently stumbled onto a lot of folklore and legends and would like to stay true to them to the best of my ability. 1. Are faeries invisible? And if so how do they become visible. See, a faery is to be... show more I have a question about these winged creatures. Actually, a few questions. See, I'm writing a story and have recently stumbled onto a lot of folklore and legends and would like to stay true to them to the best of my ability.
1. Are faeries invisible? And if so how do they become visible. See, a faery is to be found by the heroine while he's sneaking about. Is this possible or am I going to have to scratch this legend?
2. Do faeries live here or in their own land?
3. How long do they live?
4. How do you get to this faeryland if there is one?

If you have anymore info for me that would be useful to maintaining people's views on faeries, with my own twists, please post some.

I have researched this subject but find it hard to find anything useful or not involving the tiny child-like faeries, rather than the divine human sized ones.

Thank you!
I will pick Best Answer with 5 Stars!