Does Theology follow the Scientific Method, or requires faith?

Is Theology also really part of Philosophy?

Favorite Answer

Theology most definitely does not follow scientific method and requires a great deal of faith. Although there are many concepts in Theology that could be considered philosophical, I don't think it should be included in that category.

• Bob B

Theology definitely doesn't rely on the scientific method. The scientific method involves making observations, developing a hypothesis to explain them and make predictions, then performing experiments to see if the hypothesis was right. Theology doesn't do that.

There is a field of archeology which tries to trace aspects of religion.. Religious documents from "way back when" are found or unearthed every once in awhile. Artifacts are unearthed every once in awhile. In the final analysis religion is about faith. What is the definition of philosophy? Is the definition of philosophy "someone else' religion"? I don't know.. I was told a long time ago that a theology class was "studying one's own religion" while religious studies was about studying "other people's religions."

Since faith is personal and not all things religious have straight-line archeological foundations, your question is very very difficult to answer.

Sincerely,

A Roman Catholic

http://www.vatican.va/

http://www.osb.org/

http://www.ocso.org/

Given that the central tenet of religion is belief in something that cannot be demonstrated or proven in any way, but science can only function when something can be demonstrated or proven, it therefore follows that the scientific method requires no faith. Religion on the other hand has nothing but faith.

There is absolutely nothing, 0% , that could EVER be considered scientific in theology. Absolutely none of it is testable, and worse, absolutely none of it is falsifiable.

It can never get beyond a hypothesis stage, regardless of what "Creation science" believers try and make it seem like.

Faith in God is a very powerful thing. When I needed God the most when times for me were really bad God answered my prayers. When My family was fighting and abusing me God got me out of that situation and into a much better place. I am now married and I always wanted a little girl. I prayed and I was sent a beautiful little girl. God is amazing, if you call and pray for Jesus and your in need of help, he listens to every prayer.

...truly - a path for faith...

...theology has a philosophy that needs an answer too - do you believe...

• Fuzzy

Do you know what the Biblical definition of faith is when you asked this question?

It sounds a bit ironic from that viewpoint, you know. I'll elaborate if you need it.

remember where the Scientific Method came from.....