Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Could you please check if there are any grammatical errors in this sentence?

----------------------------

Hi Mike,

How are you doing? I hope you are fine. It's been a while since the last time I contacted you.

I will be in London on 23 and 24 August on a business trip. Will it be possible for me to pay a courtesy visit to the Director on either of that day.

Thank you very much.

Favorite Answer

Grammatically they're OK [all 3 sentences of them], but they're choppy, redundant, and wasteful. Why ask an empty question if your good wishes are the main point? And "since the last time" just labors the obvious. Worse, the whole thrust is backwards. The time frame is really an introduction to your good wishes, so don't just stick it on as an afterthought. Try this:

"It's been a while since I last contacted [or spoke to or wrote to] you, and I hope you are fine." Clearer and cleaner, in half the space.

The next one should be "I will be in London on business on 23 and 24 August. Would it be possible to see you and pay a courtesy visit to the Director on either date?" Subjunctive mood ("would") is correct for hypothetical situations or proposals, and not offering to meet with Mike is simply insulting--it tells him you are merely using him. If I were Mike I'd refuse you on general principles in that case.

Source(s): professional writer; taught writing since 1969.

Hi Mike,

How are you doing? I hope you are fine. It's been awhile since I last contacted you.

I will be in London on 23 and 24 August on a business trip. Will it be possible for me to pay a courtesy visit to the Director on either of those days?

Thank you very much.

It's mostly fine except the last sentence. I think it should be:

Will it be possible to pay a courtesy visit to the director on either of those days?

Hope I was helpful!

Last sentence should be:

Would it be possible for me to pay you a courtesy visit to the Director on either of those days?

on either of those days...