why does the law in some places make beating our children illegal, this is religious persecution?

the bible tells us to "spare the rod and spoil the child" I discipline my children, but never in anger. I purchased a paddle with Gods comandment on it. why do the government try to overrule Gods laws.

• H5
    Favorite Answer

I agree, it is interfering with your freedom of religion. Bear in mind you can also stone them if they are disobedient.

I think the religious tolerance of the PARENTS' religion should not be extended to something that harms the child e.g. stoning, circumcision, refusing blood transfusions

Well, maybe because:

1) The Bible DOESN'T say 'spare the rod, spoil the child' (it was from a poem by Samuel Butler in 1664).

2) Pretty much all of the references to corporal punishment in the Bible are in the Book of Proverbs which was written over 3,000 years ago. You wouldn't follow the advice of a book of science, or medicine, etc. from 3,000 years ago so why should we assume these people know any better about rearing children?

3) Children have rights. The right not to be physical beaten is one of those.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" does not mean spank your children. it means guide them. We have to remember that the bible was created in a time where there was a lot of sheep herding. People needed a staff or ROD to guide the sheep, this is what the verse is referencing. You are the rod pointing in the right direction and the children are the sheep. Stop using your flawed interpretation of the bible as an excuse to hurt people.

• Bob B

The right to life and freedom from harm overrules the right to exercise your beliefs.

The law does not let you carry out activities that infringe upon the rights of others.

• I spank my neice and nephew gently on their bottoms. That's not abuse by any means. I do agree that a teacher shouldn't spank my child though.

• I would be horrified to find out that any religious law took precedence over our government's law.

Once you are an adult, if someone hits you it is assault.

Why use double standards?

Besides, violence is wrong, end of.

Source(s): Pacifist atheist :D
  • Scilla

I know, right? Western society is so quick to accuse parents who spank their kids as child abusers. Oh, please.

Nice. That is exactly why I became a Demon.

I know right? If they get really bad, you can kill them even. Go bible!