Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Spiritually speaking; Why do people tell me that "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"?

My problem isn't temporary.

Favorite Answer

They're babbling. Some problems can't be solved.

Cliches are often said by those who usually have nothing else to offer someone in a difficult situation and they can be comforting mostly for the one who is saying them. However, if I was speaking to someone who was contemplating suicide I may very well use that exact "cliche" in an effort to stop them from killing themselves. The problem is if someone is contemplating suicide then they are already in a highly irrational state and have lost all perspective so trying to reason with someone in that state may prove impossible. The truth is all situations, circumstances, and problems are temporary, but a suicidal or even a depressed person does not know this, all they can feel is the intensity of their pain and problems so ending their life becomes very very seductive and a relief because they believe they are escaping something that is insurmountable but it isn't true. The fact that suicide is permanent is obviously not debatable, there is no coming back from it, and the fact that circumstances and situations do pass should be obvious to anyone who has lived life. So, if I had a car that broke down, I would not just give up, abandon it, or send it off to the junk yard to rot or get crushed out of existence, that would not fix anything. I would get a good mechanic to figure out the problem to make the car drivable again, a really good mechanic can make any car no matter what condition it was in run good again. It may take a lot of work to get there but any thing can be salvaged and can still have a purpose. But cars are machines or things, they are not people which cannot always be easily fixed but always worth saving. With that said, I am not really sure whether or not you just have a beef with cliches in general, or people's views on suicide but that is my PSA for the night. Cliches can be annoying simply because they are by definition so overused and unoriginal, but at times they can be helpful. You know what they say, "Timing is everything." Besides who under the sun has any original thoughts? .....and I totally believe one should have cake and eat it too....as long as it is your cake to enjoy!

On this account I say to you: Stop being anxious about your souls as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your bodies as to what you will wear. Does not the soul mean more than food and the body than clothing? Observe intently the birds of heaven, because they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses; still your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they are? Who of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span? Also, on the matter of clothing, why are you anxious? Take a lesson from the lilies of the field, how they are growing; they do not toil, nor do they spin; but I say to you that not even Sol′o·mon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. If, now, God thus clothes the vegetation of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much rather clothe you, you with little faith? So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For your heavenly Father knows you need all these things.

“Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to you. So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness".

Matthew 6:25-33

• H5

What General Grant says.

How so? Your entire life is temporary.

What is your problem?

What about this one,

Everything is alright in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end.

What do you think of that one?

Yeah, what if the problem is human stupidity? Good point.

because whatever problems you might be facing at one particular time, it will surely pass...

but once you suceed in killing yourself, you'll never come back alive again...

Because they've never tried it for themselves, obviously...

Thus, an unqualified opinion.

• cheir

It's permanent alright - but the afterlife could be worse.