Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Any bad side affects?

Could I get any bad reactions to this?

I have an anxiety disorder and the past few days have been especially bad that I've not been able to sleep and my throat feels extremely tight.

I went to my doctor, who made me an appointment with a pyschiatrist because she wants me prescribed long term medication and wants someone who's a professinal in this field to do it (I already see a pyschologist) and said, in the mean time while you're waiting for an appointment you can take Xanax when you're feeling really bad.

I'm a 15 year old girl (and pretty small, around 45kg) I don't know how much to take and I'm worried about side affects.

Please help!

Favorite Answer

Your doctor should have told you how much to take.

Depends on what strength tablets were prescribed to you. Call them up and ask.

The possible side effects of Xanax are:

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger; depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself; hyperactivity, agitation, hostility, hallucinations; feeling light-headed, fainting; seizure (convulsions); urinating less than usual or not at all; muscle twitching, tremor; or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious Xanax side effects may include:

drowsiness, dizziness, feeling irritable; amnesia or forgetfulness, trouble concentrating; sleep problems (insomnia); muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination, slurred speech; blurred vision; nausea, vomiting, constipation, appetite or weight changes; dry or watery mouth, increased sweating; or loss of interest in sex.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

• rosieC

Xanax (Alprazolam-generic )is indicated for Anxious, Panic Disorder, Repeated Episodes of Anxiety, Anxiousness associated with Depression

It belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).

How to use Xanax Oral

Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. Dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy

Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently, or use it for a longer period of time than prescribed. Properly stop this medication when so directed. This will lessen the chances of becoming addicted.

When used for an extended period, this medication may not work as well and may require different dosing. Talk with your doctor if this medication stops working well.

Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.

Drowsiness, fatigue, and coordination problems are some of the most common side effects reported with Xanax. In most cases, side effects of the medication are minor, requiring little or no treatment. There are, however, a number of potentially serious side effects with Xanax that should be reported to a healthcare provider right away. Among them include suicidal thoughts, yellowing eyes or skin( jaundice), and hallucinations

In the meantime; I wouldn't worry about side effects as most likely you'll be seeing your Psychiatrist soon who might order another medication instead in conjunction with Xanax.

Furthermore,if you do have side effects( usually associated with high doses); the dosage can be adjusted.

Source(s): professional nurse