Federal Income Tax = Communism ?

If the united states increased it's income tax to a high enough percent, wouldn't this be a communist county? If so what percent would that be?

communism...communism...communism...communism...

I think our freedom to vote, religion, and speech; outweigh any amount of money you can put in your checking account. I love my country and the people in it more than paper. I'll say what I want. That's my freedom.

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

100% (or 0% depending on how you look at it.) You simply wouldn't be paid with money.

In a true communist society there is no personal property and no market in which currency would be used.

You really should be more cautious when throwing the word communism around, a tax is a typical feature of a free market economy. The US has a very high quality of living when compared to most countries and all the good roads, hospitals, police security and the like has to be paid for. Now of course higher taxes is not always the best solution especially in a recession but it also does not reflect communism. The fact is plain capitalism though good can be destructive due to too much greed and socialism and communism are extremes which are very dangerous and oppressing. Any system run by human being is bound to be flawed due to human nature, the best solution is a rather mixed economy where the free markets are allowed to run but some certain basic needs are put in place by the government. Everyone loves a free market system but without any oversight it is unsustainable.

Source(s): Economics student

Not Communism per se, but De Facto Communism.

If you were to tax someone making $100,000 at a rate of 80%, and you tax someone making $20,000 at a rate of 0%, you would have a result that was communist in nature.

We're not that far off from that right now.

• Matt®

No. We would still have businesses that would be privately held. Income tax has nothing to do with communism. The production and distribution of goods and services does.

No, there are no taxes in a communist state because the state already owns everything.