Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How to say "reach for the sky" in latin?

I'm wondering how to say that, what the translator said was

Pervenio pro divum but i dont know if thats right as translators can be very wrong.

Favorite Answer

No way is it okay.

First of all, "pervenio" means reach as in "come to" or "arrive at," like, "I reached New York," not reach as in "put out your hand for." You want "attingo" (to touch, to reach) "contingo" (to touch, to reach, to grasp), or, better still, "aspiro" (to reach toward, to strive to attain).

Second, "divus" means a god, not the sky. You want "caelum" (sky, heavens).

Third, you have, "I reach," not "reach." If you are ordering one person to reach, it would be "perveni" (or better, "aspira"). If you are ordering multiple people to reach, it would be "pervenite" (or better, "aspirate").

So I'd say: "Aspira ad caelum."

• Erika

Sky In Latin

• aida

Yes, translators (translation sites, that is) can be very wrong! So try "Capta caelum." "Capta" is the imperative singular of "captare," meaning to reach for or grasp at, and "caelum" is a neuter accusative and means "sky."

Source(s): Majored in Latin.

Yes, it's ok.