(能看嘛 = = ")

3 Answers

Rating
  • Elisa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

酒逢知己千杯, 話不投機半句多

Drinking with a confidant, a thousand shots are too few; Talking with an uncongenial person, half a sentence is too much.

A thousand shots do not suffice when bosom friends meet; while half a sentence is considered too much when there is no meeting of the minds.

A thousand glasses of wine are too few when drinking with bosom buddies. Half a sentence is too much when there is no seeing eye to eye.

2009-08-05 03:18:50 補充:

半句多 - when translated as "half a sentence" is not truly accurate.

I would prefer the following translations.

Drinking a thousand shots are too few when with a confidant; Saying a word is too much when with somesome uncongenial.

2009-08-05 03:21:33 補充:

Or,

Taking a thousand shots are too few when with a bosom friend; Saying a word is too much when there is meeting of the minds.

2009-08-05 03:44:28 補充:

Oh, I thought of something else.

Maybe, you can say:

Time with bosom friends, priceless.

Time with uncongenial people, worthless.

-> It is not a word for word translation, but it is very close to the meaning of the

Chinese proverb. It rhymes too.

2009-08-05 10:45:22 補充:

Sorry a typo.

Drinking a thousand shots are too few when with a confidant; Saying a word is too much when with "someone" uncongenial.

2009-08-05 11:39:47 補充:

Another typo:

Taking a thousand shots are too few when with a bosom friend; Saying a word is too much when there is "no" meeting of the minds.

Source(s): Myself. 32 years of experience speaking and writing English. A project manager in the US since 1992.
  • book
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

"Drink" talks !

• Gato
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

What makes you think you will be satisfied with more, if you really drink with your amour!

Silence is gold, if you have nothing in common to talk!

抄老師的筆記!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.