razz asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

can you put a stop payment on a cashiers check?

my boyfriend and I split up today and the rent was paid today,can I get my money back from the landlords?he my ex has a roomate already and i should be released from the lease on my part if its rented in my place,if the landlords dont give me my money back I was going to put a stop payment on it if i can.I left a urgent message on my landlords phone tonight and they know about him abusing me and I have to get out now.I have movers ready to move me wedensday need the money to move.thanks for your help in advance,please be nice with your answers

You can't. Even if you could, if you did not get the landlords agreement and approval, the landlord can sue the leasees for lack of notice, unpaid rent to the end of the lease, and any damages. It doesn't matter what side agreement you have with anyone else if the landlord doesn't agree.

why would the landlord let either of you out of the lease?

no - money is gone and you BOTH will also still have to pay future rent on the apt

The whole point of a cashiers check is that the money is already out of your account. So, no, you can't put a stop payment on one.

Tell the boyfriend to pay you back.