Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

can you find out the capacity of a stomach?

i was just wondering if u can calculate how big a birds stomach is. i am thinking about seeing how much my bird eats (mintues), weighing him before and after he eats. do you think this will be able to calculate the capacity or size of a birds stomach? also, if it is possible, please give me some tips on what i should do to make this mini-experiment go smoothly.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Just because the bird stops eating doesn't mean that it's stomach started out by being totally empty and that it ate until it was totally full. Most animals don't wait until they're starving before they start eating again. They run the risk of not finding food in time. Mother nature or evolution teaches them not to wait that long. Also, many animals don't stuff themselves either. Although it's gruesome, but if you really want to know how large your bird's stomach is then you need to kill it and extract the stomach or a similarly-sized bird of the same species. Then you can do an experiment to see how much liquid it contains to you extract it properly.

Ed

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i wouldn't know how calculate a birds stomach capacity but i do have a website that might be a help to you.

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/RITCHISO/birddige...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.