Cinder asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why is it that when my cat is playing alone his tail bushes up?

And sometimes he does this sideways hopping thing but his tail is straight up or curved downward and bushy.

Favorite Answer

This is normal, he's pretending to hunt something (probably a dust bunny) and is practicing for when he pounces on something real. I'm fostering 5 kittens and they'll do this whether they're playing with each other, with a string or with a spot on the wall (yes they've attacked spots). It's normal and nothing to worry about, he's just being a ham. Enjoy the cuteness while it lasts.

Source(s): kitten fosterer, long time cat owner and SPCA volunteer

That's totally normal and I find it hilarious! They brush up their tails and hunch their backs to make themselves bigger and tougher (to other cats) and they do the sideways hopping thing to look tough too.

I love that sideways hop--it's hilarious. Our kitten did that just last night to our adult cat.

my cat does that too. it is really cute and entertaining. She will chase a tiny piece of kitty litter around the kitchen linoleum.